Tech Support banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a Magnum M16T, Spec No 711501, Serial No 3302800309 be be upgraded to M16ST electric start? If so what parts are required.

·
Moderator, Automotive Team
12,450 Posts
if it has a gear under the flywheel and bolt holes in the side with enough room for a starter to mount, then yes, looking at it on parts tree it DOES show a started but theres a lotta wiring involved, and you can ask the mad doin the wiring on my cub in my garage when I went from a courage to a Briggs, I suk at wiring

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes it would appear, after some dismantling and deeper investigation of published the parts lists, that the engine is indeed capable of being modified. The crankcase has the mounting for the starter motor and the ring gear flywheel is interchangeable.
However the cost would be prohibitive unless one could find a secondhand flywheel here in the UK.
Any one breaking an M16ST in the UK I would be very interested. ££

·
12,450 Posts
I wish you were here in Northampton county, I have a pretty small but digersive collection of old lawnmower engines
But if YOUR flywheel has the screw holes on the bottom of it you can probally add a gear, the are sold online for about 14 usd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's very interesting. You suggest the ring gear is a separate part. Can you provide a part number and perhaps a link to a supplier. I will remove the flywheel in the next few days to examine the back. Bolt holes are no problem since I have a well equipped workshop. | am unfamiliar with American small engine practice, in Britain the practice would be an integral or shrink fit gear.
The parts list I can find shows only a complete and different part number flywheel for S and ST models.

·
12,450 Posts
Some are separate some arent Riding mowers with Briggs, or Kohler engines all have seperate ring gears because they MUST match the starter, when I work on a mower for somebody and its a starter change I always remove the dog gear and put it on the new starter, because I have seen too many that look exactly alike grind when you try to start them

·
12,450 Posts
you know I have a couple of old motor scooter frames in the junk pile and a non working mower, I just wonder........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK wolfen1086, I don't understand what you are trying to say. Whatever, the Kohler M16 flywheel has a machined register on the inboard face but no bolt holes. My guess is the register was designed for a shrink fit gear. You suggest that a gear might be available so give me a clue.

corday the link to jackssmallengins you providedd is a copy of the original Kohler parts list and contains a very expensive complete flywheel only.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts