Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an eMachines 5210 with Intel 4, 2.50ghz CPU, and currently an integrated 64mb ATI Radeon 9100. Basically, I want to be able to play Rome:Total War and World in Conflict properly and at the moment, the former is playable but slow and the latter, which I only have in demo form at the moment, lags a bit. I have looked around and the ATI Radeon 9600 seems good; not too powerful to cause problems but enough to power the games. It also is quite cheap, I've seen them going for a fiver on Ebay or £35 brand new on Amazon.

I've even opened up the computer and it looks like I have a PCI-Express hub, but that is not guaranteed. Will my existing, integrated graphics card cause me a problem if I install a new one?

· Premium Member
12,695 Posts
No if you have a pci-e expansion slot then a new graphics card will work just fine, but i would suggest a better upgrade then a 9600. A 9600 is the generation before the last generation. lol. I would say go with an X series at least. Like the x1300 or x1600. They are both low end enough to not require a power supply upgrade. Yes you could upgrade to a 9600 but it wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

· Premium Member
78,435 Posts
emachines power supplies are not the best if the card is agp or pcie check it's putting out enough amps on the 12v+ line to run the card
agp=min 18amps
pcie=min 26amps

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Things have evolved. A friend has taken a look at some photos I took of the inside of my computer and he reckons I've only got a standard AGP slot and a couple of spare PCI slots. I'm genuinely not too bothered about having the latest, greatest card I can fit, as cost is a genuine factor, so if the 9600 will handle the two games I'm interested in, I'm comfortable with that.

I'll check the power situation, though, and thanks for the pointer, I wouldn't have conisdered that.:smile:

· Premium Member
12,695 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.