Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I got a Free mac from my cousin he made it himself for collage. But then he needed a labtop so he just gave me his desktop. Well I was wondering is there anyway I could take the Mac OS off it and load windows XP. I really dont like mac. I asked one of my friends and he said I would need a new Hard drive and something eles. Could this work and how much do you think it would cost.

The mac is a G4 450 MHZ 512 RAM

Ask me anything if you need more info on the system. Thanks

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
You could run windows on it, but it'll be quirky and slow. If you want windows, just sell the machine and buy a PC. It's not worth the headache trying to get virtual machine working.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Fox said:
You could run windows on it, but it'll be quirky and slow. If you want windows, just sell the machine and buy a PC. It's not worth the headache trying to get virtual machine working.
Agreed.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
well codin you have five choices:

1. Learn Mac
2. Get a headache
3. Break your cousin's heart and do what fox resolution and oldman said
4. Get a PC but don't sell the Mac
5. DL Linux and install.

I would recommend installing Linux.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks for all the fast replays. Yeah I figured it would be slow. I dont really undstand linux like I can just download it and it will kinda run like windows. (im going to do a little more research on linux then write back). O im a really big gamer and im not sure if games run on linux. Thanks guys again.

I give this website a big thumbs up!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
With some effort, games do run on Linux, however, even the Linux camp will tell you that nothing beats Windows when it comes to a gaming machine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright well I guess the only thing I can do is learn to use mac. Then buy a PC thanks guys.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
For what it's worth, Macs aren't bad machines for browsing the web, working with documents, sending email, and working with media (though this won't be as nice as the machine is a little old). The only thing that they really lack is support for the popular games.

If I were in your position, I would probably keep the machine- the cost to sell and ship it, and the time I'd take doing that would probably be worth more to me than the cash I'd get for it. Especially since you'd probably only get 100 bucks or so from it.

Plus then you get to learn the workings of the mac, and, if you're so inclined, experiment with linux. I hear Yellow Dog linux for mac was pretty popular around the time that computer was made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright I did a little more research and it says I could get a new motherboard then windows would run fine. Not sure if this is true. O my mac is a G4 512 Ram 128 ATI Graphics card. Windows only take like what 128 Ram to run.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
New motherboard = new computer. You'd need a new CPU, and probably RAM too. That's assuming that the case and power supply are compatible, which is a stretch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Virtual PC is your best bet. You have to run Mac OSX and then run it under it and you will get decreased performance and compatibility but it is the easiest way. Also I doubt you will be able to install Windows on a Macintosh without, well, not using any of the parts in the Mac. The reason is due to the processor differences between PowerPC and X86. It is possible to have an x86 imitate a PowerPC processor with pearpc but that is complicated. Anyways as others have said your easiest option will be to just get a PC.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.