1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
388 Posts
Your current PSU is good quality, although I would recommend atleast a 650W PSU looking at your current spec and what you will be upgrading to, so if you was going to upgrade your PSU you would probably be better off going for a good quality 750W for any future additions to your PC

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Ditto ^ on the 650W.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm is there an alternative card that my 550 can run? My current card is just a little too out of date.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I'm going to step out of the box here...
And tell you that your 550 watt PSU WILL run the card you are looking at. It is very good quality, and should hold up to it's name.

I have a friend running SLI'ed GTX 275's overclocked like you've never seen, and his 650 watt PSU runs them along with 4 7200 RPM drive, an i7, 16 GB of RAM, etc.

BUT, if you ever upgrade more, you WILL need to upgrade that PSU, as you don't want to push it too much.

·
Registered Member
2,460 Posts
I'm going to step out of the box here...
And tell you that your 550 watt PSU WILL run the card you are looking at. It is very good quality, and should hold up to it's name.

I have a friend running SLI'ed GTX 275's overclocked like you've never seen, and his 650 watt PSU runs them along with 4 7200 RPM drive, an i7, 16 GB of RAM, etc.

BUT, if you ever upgrade more, you WILL need to upgrade that PSU, as you don't want to push it too much.
Sure it will run the card. The thing is if you place too much load on a PSU it can fail, which in turn will damage other components, including your new graphics card and/or other components. 650w or higher is recommended.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
[I'm going to say this once, yes a 550W PSU is enough.]

no one is saying a 550w will not run it

for long term and the sake of about $10 650w is the advised option for long term stability

if you listened to your video you would have heard that the psu 1500w was drawing 80%

for long term reliability the power draw should remain between 30 and 70% of the

available power

OmgComputer has enough information to make his choice and we are not going into

another debate on psu's

closed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.