Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking.
Can i make a program, thatll show an overview of a billiards table, and show like how hard to hit it, or where to hit at on the cue ball, to show an outlook of what'll happen.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
u can program nething ..... but u need the math formulas to suppor it. basically draw it out write some formulas to calculate the path u need factors of:

power,distance,location,angle
power u hit the ball with
distance how far the ball is located away from the walls
location wher the ball is located on the table this could be mapped via x/y coordinates to see if the ball is in a corner or close to a hole.
at what angle you are hitting the ball

possibly thers more factors involved....
once u got those formulas worked out and they work on paper, putting them in a similuation or a program is a piece of cake

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok.
Will it help, i have a pool table, right down the hall from me, can that help anything?

and thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
should i be worried about any one stealing this kinda idea?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
mmm propably not but its an interesting thought.

and yes the pool table down your hall might help in someway of the layout and plotting.

but all in all u will have to set up formulas to calculate the final plot ....
u could test this on ur pool table. calculate the distance from all the sides calculate the angle how your gona hit the wall, since you dont have an acurate power measure this might be a little hard, guesstimate the power on a scale of 1 to 20 or something.

then hit the ball and see where it lands, calculate the final spot how far from all sides and see if u can make out anything. find some math guru to setup the formulas for u ;)

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
The problem with pool is that the physics involved becomes far more complex anytime there is spin or "english" on the cue ball, which is how many more difficult shots are made. Other than that collisions between 2 pool balls an easily by modeled by elastic collision formulas. I am not if the collisions between the pool balls and the walls of the table can be considered elastic or not.

In such a collision between balls, each having equal mass, they will always move at a right angle to each other after a glancing collision. After a perfectly head on collision the first ball will stop and the second will move in the same direction as the first was with equal velocity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.