Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I just need some simple help. I am planning on buying a Vista Premium PC fresh from the factory, and i was wondering if i can network an XP SP2 with a Vista Premium PC. I was just asking here to make sure it will work before i buy the PC. I plan on sharing the DSL connection and the printer on the XP now with the Vista PC. What will I need in terms of networking these together? Would I hook up a Ethernet cable from the Dsl modem to the router marked WLAN right? And then a regular ethernet cable from the router to the vista PC. Is this right? How would i get the printer to work with the Vista PC? Would there be any other issues networking an XP with a Vista?? Thanks for all the help. :wave:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was actually using the beta version of Vista a while back and i had it connected to a desktop running win XP, it all ran fine, as for the printer and the internet I would say your best bet would be to connect both to the vista machine because it has got much much better networking support.
But I'm a real noob at this stuff so don't just take my word

·
Registered
617 Posts
You should be able to network a Vista computer to an XP computer as you would network 2 XP computers. The order of connedctions should be: DSL -> WAN Port on router -> lan ports on router -> XP and Vista.

You should be able to setup printer sharing so that you can print from the XP computer. Just share the printer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So no drivers are needed for anything? Just plug and play?

DSL to router> ethernet cable to xp machine.> seperate ethernet cable to Vista machine right?

Can you go into detail about the printer?? I am totally new to all this networking stuff its not even funny. I want to make sure this is all spelled out before i drop 1k on a new machine...thanks :pray:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.