Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I read the article by Clintfan here:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=43724

But that seemed to address either SATA or RAID setups. Or...I'm just confused. But it also mentioned WindowsXP, and I'm building a dual-boot system.

On order:
Asus P4P800SE MB. Supports 4 HDD's.

This MB seems geared toward SATA drives and/or RAID configurations, but I simply want to go over the old limit of having 2 ATA (IDE or PATA if you will) HDD's on my system. Everything will be a fresh install on formatted HDD's and the new mobo. I will be installing Windows98SE first, which will go on the primary partition on C:, then, for dual-boot, I will install WindowsXP using the option to keep Win98 and make a dual-boot setup.

So...obviously this setup requires both 98SE and XP to recognize the 4 IDE drives. Is this even possible? If so, is there an "idiots guide" to doing it? :)

I'm not really an idiot, hehe. I have no problem following the instructions to d/l the promise IDE drivers and press the right keys during XP's install process. How would that apply (if at all) to Win98 tho? Is it possible to simply choose IDE mode in BIOS for the promise controller and plug my IDE HDD's right into the RAID ports? Thanks for any info/help you can offer!

Oh, and also.... that article by Clintfan seemed to be saying to do that if you wanted your OS to operate off the promise controller, and I don't want to do that. The third and fourth drives will be primarily for storage of disk images (backups) and whatnot.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Targa
Welcome :smile:
If I understand you correctly, you want to install 4 PATA (IDE) HDDs on a P4P800SE? This MB only has two IDE channels(as well as 2 SATA connections), and no Promise controller. So if you install 4 PATA HDDs you won't have any room for CD/DVD drives to be installed.

In theory, Win98 and WinXP should recognize 4 PATA HDDs. You may have to add the extra HDDs after you install the Primary boot drive with Win98 and WinXP on it. You will need a cd-rom for the Win install discs, but you could remove it once you have the OS' installed(in theory, but I'm not sure this is what you want).

If you are getting the P4P800E-Deluxe, which has the Promise controller, then you could add the 3rd and 4th PATA HDDs to the PRI_RAID connector and just enable it as IDE(not RAID) in the BIOS. You will need to install the Promise IDE(non-raid)drivers as outlined in the clintfan link posted above, following the red-letter 'data'(<NOT 'OS') instructions.

You may be confused by the term 'SATA' in the clintfan post.

From clintfan..."Note the name "SATA378" is a brand name Promise uses to describe the non-RAID driver for the PDC20378 chip." This is the driver for IDE mode.

When finished, you will have 2 PATAs with Win98 and WinXP connected to the Intel controller and 2 PATA hdds for storage connected to the Promise controller. I would recommend setting up the PATA HDD with Win98 and WinXP before attaching the other drives. No sense in trying several difficult tasks at once and it will be easier to troubleshoot if there are problems.

I hope this is what you meant and I hope this is helpful. Keep us posted with your progress.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Luckily I haven't yet placed the order, since I need a new case and there's about 400 of them on Newegg's site, lol.

You're correct about the model of the Asus mobo. Apparently I was reading about one version while planning on purchasing a different one. That being said, the deluxe is only about $15 more, so no problem getting that one instead.

This brings up another question. The advertisement for the deluxe goes like this:

PATA 2 x ATA 100 up to 4 Devices
Additional PATA 1 x ATA 133 up to 2 Devices
SATA 2 x SATA 150
SATA RAID RAID 0/1
Additional SATA 2 x SATA 150
Additional SATA RAID RAID 0/1/0+1
Additional RAID Controller Promise PDC20378

This is a bit confusing with regard to the first two lines. It reads to me like your primary drives on the intel controller are only ATA100, while the "additional PATA" is ATA133? Why wouldn't your main HDD's be ATA133? This caught my attention because when I was reading reviews for this MB a user said "I love Asus and always use their MB's, I just wish they would finally start using ATA133 support for the hard drives".

I'm guessing that the first line "2 x ATA 100 up to 4 devices" means your two primary HDD's and your 2 CD/DVD drives? Then why is the second line saying "1 ATA 133 connector that takes 2 devices"? I thought it was simply the 2 main ATA connectors and the PRI_RAID connectors in there?

And yes, other than the advertisement confusing the issue, you answered my question perfectly. I really appreciate the quick response, as it prevented me from purchasing the wrong mobo. I think I'll just go ahead and order the Deluxe and follow yours and Clintfan's instructions with regard to the DATA setup. Also I'll heed your advice about installing my OS'es first with just the 2 main HDD's installed, then afterwards add the others on the RAID/Promise connection.

Regards,
Targa

Oh, just thought of something else. In Clintfan's post, he describes installing the Promise IDE drivers in WinXP. Think I can use the same method for Win98SE? (that of Control Panel > Hardware Manager > Drivers)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Targa
Glad I could be of help.
The P4P800E-Deluxe...the board in my sig :smile: ...is a great board. I am sure it will fit your needs nicely.
The Intel chipset ICH5R has 2 ATA100 IDE(PATA) connectors for 4 drives..primary master and slave, secondary master and slave. Yes it is 'only' ATA100..Intel hasn't embraced the ATA133 standard, but many PATA drives are rated at ATA100, and there isn't much realtime difference in speeds, maybe a few seconds here and there unless you have specialized operations that demand maximum speed for extended periods. You can connect an ATA133 drive to the Intel chip, it will just run at ATA100. Optical disc drives are rated at ATA44 at best. The Intel ICH5R also has 2 SATA connectors. They can be used in RAID0 or RAID1.

The on-board Promise controller has 1 ATA133 IDE (PATA) connector(the 'second line' in the promo blurb) for master and slave(no optical discs). It also has 2 SATA connectors that can be used in RAID configs.

I can't say for sure what will happen with the Win98 install. I think you should be able to install the drivers from device manager in Win98 once you enable the controller in BIOS and Win98 detects the new hardware.

Anyways, keep us posted of your progress :sayyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just came across a review of the MB that says "to enable the dual-channel memory access, two modules in both channels must be there." Which translates to me as "you must have all 4 slots being used by 4 sticks of dual-channel memory". Is this true? I bought 2 - 1gig corsair dual channel sticks. I hope it wasn't a waste of cash. :) Thanks!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Targa:

The memory statement is just poorly written. Like @ PLEASE; I too am running the same board you are about to buy / all you need to run in dual channel mode is one set of compatible or tested dual channel memory stick kit (means two sticks of identical dual channel capable memory)

I am currently running in dual channel mode and I am using only two sticks ???

make sure you go to the memory makers website and check to be sure the model of memory you are buying has been tested and approved for your mother board model / when I first bought my system; I bought a dual channel kit PC3200 DDR sticks (made by super talent) / they wouldnt run as they werent compatible with my board / most websites of the memory makers have a compatibility chart or selctor if yours doesnt >>>> check crucial, corsair, OCZ I know they do !!

regards

joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Joe. That's a relief. :) I checked Corsair's website and the sticks I'm getting are listed for this motherboard (Corsair TWINX2048-3200 - 2 1Gig modules made for dual channel memory). Unfortunately it didn't even cross my mind that Corsair would have such a detailed list. Mine are neither the "most popular", "best for overclocking", nor "lowest latency", lol.

Is there a good OC'ing guide or rule of thumb that you guys use? I thought I saw one here somewhere that simply said to keep bumping up the frequency until you get instability, then bump up the voltage, keeping CPU/RAM at 1:1. The listed latency on my sticks is 3-3-3-8, but then when I click on Corsair's link for the "detailed view", it says 3-4-4-8. Weird.

At any rate, I haven't had an opportunity to look into OC'ing yet, but from what I recall (last OC was so long ago it was a P3 450, hehe), I'm going to want to let my CPU burn in for a few hundred hours before doing that, yes?

As always, thanks for the tips, help, and valuable info. :)

-T

Just for the record, I ordered:

Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste
Zalman CNPS7000B-CU
ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe
Intel P4 3.0E Prescott
Corsair XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM, DDR 400 (PC 3200)

Belatedly I heard that the Prescott's run hotter than their counterpart. Ah well, can't have everything.... the price was right at least. Between the case I have with front/side/back vents/fans, 550w PSU, and the Zalman, I don't anticipate any cooling problems unless I get crazy with the overclocking. As you can probably tell, I'm not a "hard core OC'er" - just looking to squeeze out a few "freebie" Ghz from my CPU. No water cooling or anything fancy like that. :)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The Prescott's do have a tendency to run hotter. Mine runs about 15-20C over ambient. The 3.0 is not as bad as the 3.3 and 3.4 that I have. I tried the Zalman CNPS7700-AICu on mine and was not impressed. My 3.2 ran hotter then with the stock cooler :4-dontkno. The 3.4 ran about 4C hotter then with the Hyper 48 setup I have now (Hyper48 heatsink with a 90mm thermaltake silent cat fan). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ Targa
I like your setup :cool: . That Prescott does run hot as others have said, but they OC better too :deveous: . The Zalman is a good choice. Good case airflow will be very beneficial to you.

As for your timings, I think the pdf document from Corsair was a bit dated and your new RAM should run at 3-3-3-8. They may have an SPD of 3-4-4-8, but you can change the timings in BIOS with no problem. Memory companies are always changing specs. Sometimes they SPD things higher than what they can do just to be safe and to insure that they work in every board out of the box. Not everyone has a P4P800 E-Deluxe :grin: . You may be able to squeeze 2.5-3-3-7 out of them :wink: .

You should be able to OC a little bit. ASUS has a decent BIOS for OCing. After you get up and running stable for a bit, try some of the OCing as mentioned in the manual.

If you need a few hints or links for some BIOS settings or OCing, just ask.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How about 4 sata drives in Raid 0 ??

I understand that 2 of the sata ports are controlled by the southbridge and 2 are controlled by the promise controllers..... I was just wondering if there was any way possible to have 4 sata raptors attached to all 4 sata ports on the p4p800-e deluxe and have them in a raid 0 array........ I'm guessing not, but I am hoping I am wrong... anyone know?

Thanks,
Godfrey :4-dontkno

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.