Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I need to edit the boot.ini file. I can't boot to any windows functions, long story, and I can't afford to change the admin password. The computer is a Toshiba Laptop, works on NTFS, and has no floppy disk drive.

I do have a bootable cd-rom, however, I can't make any changes to the hdd with the exception of editting the registry. However, since it is using a dos prompt, I need to know the exact line of the registry to edit.

Is there anyway, using a registry editter, to edit the boot.ini file and remove the line that says:

/safeboot:minimal

Is this possible using a registry editter?

searching my own registry, I've found this in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Search_Assist ant\ACMru\5603\000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Search_Assis tant\ACMru\5603\000

the data listed for these values is "boot.ini"

is there anything i can do in the registry to remove the safeboot command?

if i delete the boot.ini key, will that remove any special instructions during boot? or will that just cause more problems?

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Cade187,

The boot.ini file is not found in the registry. It is loaded way before windows. It starts the minute the hard drive is mounted. Kinda like Config.sys and autoexec.bat.

We were trying to help in the other thread. I wish that editing the registry could help you. The entries you posted are when you do a Search on your computer. Kinda like a Most Recently Used list. You had boot.ini search done on your computer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Picture editing the boot.ini from the reg....Thats funny considering in services you can remotely edit the registry, anyone see the big but unfortunate picture???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.