Tech Support banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am constantly invaded by scam email messages and although I use the Outlook 2016 option to block these emails they keep on coming. You will see from the attachment that they have a cryptic addressee consisting of a random set of letters and numbers and so I suspect that is why the Office 2016 blocking feature does not work. Does anyone know of way of setting up Outlook 2016 so that it automatically dumps these messages in the scam folder, or better still blocks the sender? I use TalkTalk as my service provider so perhaps there is a way of blocking these messages at source.

Attachments

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,152 Posts
Use Junk and use the domain as a filter, filter emails like these 'ends with' '@spammerdomain.com' and then update it, should filter, else just set a Mail rule to forward these to Spam or Deleted items.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To delete messages before downloading them, I use a free program called Spam Combat. I run it to see headers of e-mail, and I select which ones to delete. It still runs in Win 10 but for me crashes once in a while:

Sometimes, I close the program without deleting anything, then use a browser to go to my Gmail account. I look at the spam and mark it as so. Gmail also asks me if I can request to unsubscribe from the list. That way, I stop receiving e-mail from that source.

There's also a filtering system in Gmail that can delete, mark as read and archive, etc., e-mail based on address, domain name, etc.

There might be similar features in other mail services.

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,152 Posts
Please use caution when using 3rd party software, especially ones which have access to your email, TSF does not recommend or promote any such products, please do your due diligence and use the Product at your own risk.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice. In case it is relevant to anyone else I found a way of blocking domains in TalkTalk Mail. This is the advice on their web site:

Sign into webmail on the TalkTalk website. Go to Settings on the left hand side.
Then in the settings menu go to Mail.
Then scroll down to Filters.
Click on 'Add'. Give your filter a name e.g Annoying.
In Criteria select 'From'
in Keywords type in - @annoyingspammer
in options select 'From Contains'
in Action select 'Reject'
then hit Save

I would think that other broadband providers would provide a similar means of blocking domains.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts