Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RS420 Pentium 4 Processor 512MB PC-2700 DDR/120GB Hard Drive i.Link (iEEE 1374) interface. I have a Compaq Presario 54300NX that died. I need step by step help to put the hard drive from the Compaq into the Sony so I can retrieve the data and pictures. I'm a beginner so that is why I need step by step instructions.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
According to the specs for the PC there is one available 3.5" drive bay. They have instructions for replacing a drive which should help you to add a drive. You'll probably need to set the jumper on each of the drives (either master/slave or cable select) and then connect the new drive to a power connector and the drive ribbon cable (there should be a connector on the cable that's connected to the current drive)

Sony eSupport - PCV-RS420 - Manuals / Specs / Warranty

If you just want the data off the drive you might be better off getting an external USB enclosure. It's simple to stick the drive in the case and connect it via USB.

·
computer wizard
1,658 Posts
connect your old hard drive via a data cable via usb port,that way you will get your files back,or you could buy a external hdd case and mount your old hdd to it,

·
Registered
298 Posts
should not be too difficult to do,

power off and unplug remove case and unplug and unscrew the HDD from its mounting

probably easiest to connect the removed HDD from the compaq with an external IDE enclosure easily found on amazon etc..

dont worry about the OS, the drive will be treated as an external drive and you can view the documents in windows etc....

good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.