Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is my situation, I recently built a new comp, so I put all my old parts away in a box..

Well I decided to build another comp (from my old parts) and this is whats happening..

I upgraded my cpu to a e8400 (well not really an upgrade, but better for gaming) from a Q6600.. I bought an aftermarket heaksink (Tuniq Tower), and threw away the stock fan for the Q6600.. Now I dont have a fan for the Q6600, and I'm wanting to use the stock heatsink+fan for the E8400 (which is much smaller than the Q6600 HSF).. Can this really be affecting my mobo so much that its not able to POST?

I didnt change any other part except the HS.. I'm still using the same old ram + CPU, just instead of using the q6600's heatsink, im trying to use the e8400's heatsink..

Could that really affect it? Because before that setup was running perfectly.. so thats the only conclusion i can come to, the HS is not letting it post..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ive been posting and reading these boards for a solid month now I think. Ive learned alot of good stuff but I think whats starting to dawn on me, is how delicate placing a cpu and heat sink back into the correct position is. There have been alot of posts about changing/messing with cpus and heatsinks and then getting no post. Only after removing and installing the cpu/heatsink a few times has some of these problems been fixed. So I would say yes it could affect it. But Ive also learned a correct cmos reset also helps. Some computers need the vcore adjusted through the bios in order for it to accept a new processor. Some other may have jumpers to set the freq. in order for it to accept a cpu. Others still seem to need the heat sink to fix perfectly with the right amount of paste. So I would say the smaller heat sink or fan is a bad idea. To buy a replacement for it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Did you by chance unplug the cpu 4-pin plug from the psu while you were swapping the cooler out?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well the fan itself does spin, everything turns on, i just dont hear a beep from the speaker, and it doesnt post.. the stock HS of the E8400 fan itself is just about half the size of the stock HS for the q6600...

and since its one of those push pins, I made sure that it was in place, and i do hear the clicks to ensure its in place, and it doesn't move at all when i try to move it around...

i also tried clearing the cmos, but no luck..

so the only conclusion i can come to is that the smaller fan does affect the POST.. any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ya i agree with dai. If you use a hs half the size then the stock, its going to cool half as much. Half as much just not enough to keep a cpu cool. I think even if you get it to post, it will not be long before it over heats and turns off anyways.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well the fan itself does spin, everything turns on, i just dont hear a beep from the speaker, and it doesnt post.. the stock HS of the E8400 fan itself is just about half the size of the stock HS for the q6600...

and since its one of those push pins, I made sure that it was in place, and i do hear the clicks to ensure its in place, and it doesn't move at all when i try to move it around...

i also tried clearing the cmos, but no luck..

so the only conclusion i can come to is that the smaller fan does affect the POST.. any ideas anyone?

Was this in reference to the 4-pin cpu plug I mentioned?

The reason I ask is that the fan plug is not what I was talking about..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.