Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel bad for starting a new thread on the subject, but I looked through a bunch of the other threads and I couldn't find a solution.

I am on a Dell Laptop (Latitude D600)
And I'm running Windows XP Ver 5.1 Service Pack 3
My ISP is Speedlink Cable
We are using an SMC modem/router SMC8014WN

My roommate can connect to wirelessly, and I can connect with a hard wire connection. I also can connect to the router (full speed), but I get limited or no connectivity to the internet.

I connect to the wireless via a 'NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter' using the NETGEAR SMART WIZARD - Wireless Assistant WG111v2

When I run IPCONFIG /ALL the output is:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : GOAT2
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-56-DC-55-46
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.11
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 08, 2010 10:33:35 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 09, 2010 10:33:35 AM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-33-75-4D-07
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.108.43
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

So I will be extremely grateful for any help towards solving this problem! :pray:

Thanks!
Sean

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Try putting static IP addresses in to your wireless network connection.
By the looks of it it seems your wireless connection cannot get an IP address automatically via DHCP.

Let me know if this works or you need help doing this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the post! :smile:

I don't exactly know how to set that up, so some directions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
clearly a setup problerm it would appear to me.....click on Start , Control Panel and Network Connections

on the left hand side you should see an option to Setup a connection or network. select that and then choose manually connect to wireless network
then enter the pertinent info about the wireless network you are trying to connect to

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried to set up a static IP, but it required I insert two DNS addresses and I only had one DNS address from the ipconfig readout.

And I also tried to do the setup a network option, but I think the problem is with the USB adapter that I'm using. In fact, when I go to set up a wireless network it doesn't read the wireless adapter that I have. And I have used this USB adapter (on several networks) to connect to a wireless internet.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
does the adapter show up in device manager and does it have a yellow exclamation or question mark beside it if so then you need to reload the device driver for that adapter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The adapter is on the Device Manager under Network Adapters. There is no exclamation point.

(and thanks for your help so far)

·
Alternative Computing, Moderator
2,754 Posts
I connect to the wireless via a 'NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter' using the NETGEAR SMART WIZARD - Wireless Assistant WG111v2

When I run IPCONFIG /ALL the output is:
--snip--
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-33-75-4D-07
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.108.43
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : [/I]

So I will be extremely grateful for any help towards solving this problem! :pray:

Thanks!
Sean
You're not associated with your wireless router, your IP address is the windows default 169.254.x.x so your connection is going nowhere.

You can't even ping your router which is 192.168.0.1 as youre not even the same subnet.
Sometimes a humble restart of your laptop will fix this.

If that fails, scan the wireless networks, connect to your wireless router and enter your security key again.

Should that fail, check you have no other interfering wireless devices such as wireless video senders close to your wireless router, if you have disconnect them, your laptop may connect to your router immediately.

If that fails, your TCP/IP stack may be correct and you can try reset this.
Open a command prompt and type:
netsh

At the netshell prompt:
netsh>

Type:
winsock reset catalog

(American spelling) Then restart your laptop. You will have to reconnect to your wireless router.
Should those fail I have some more solutions for you to try.

one last thing: do make sure that you are seeing adequate signal strength, by that I mean at least 3 bars on the windows wifi signal meter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a utility that is part of the Netgear Smart Wizard that allows me to view wireless networks. I followed all the proper steps to install, and it has worked on several wireless networks before. However, when I open the wireless utility that is a part of Windows Networking it says there are no wireless devices.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
thats interesting is the router setup to not broadcast an SSID? but your roommates laptop sees your router though right? is there a wireless utility icon in the lower right hand corner of your taskbar? is so,,,double click on it and see if it shows your wireless router ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To Hal:

I tried all that... and no success.

To louge:

The wizard has its own utility. I have full signal connecting to the router, the correct SSID shows up, the password allows me to connect to the router. But I get a limited or no connectivity error everytime.

Some friends gave us an old wireless router they had in a box, but it won't take any power.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.