Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, thanks anyone for reading. I've had my pc for a couple years without any problems, except that say the mouse/keyboard serial ports have never worked, but that was ok cause all my stuff was usb. so then a few months ago all the usb ports on the mother bord or connected by cables to the motherbord stopped working. leaving me with the four on the usb card i installed. but not long after, or around the same time my mouse started getting really dodgy, it would stop responding for a few seconds here and there, and hten occasionally need unplugging and putting back in for it to continue. everything else plugged into that usb card works fine, i can even run my webcam for indefinate lengths, my printer, keyboard, and even the internet i am using now is connceted by usb! I havent been on this pc for a couple months since ive been at uni with my new one, but now im back i need it to work but the mouse situation seems to have deterioated further. it goes off more often and for longer periods of time and fails to come back a lot more frequenly. thoughts i have had are, usb problems (except eveything else works), a driver problems (i wouldnt know what to do about this), a virus (help?) or something else i dunno, if anyone has any thoughts or similar experience please reply, it's muchly appreciated.

ps, the mouse is a simple optical mouse that does not take batteries. i have tried another similar mouse and with that one it simply doesnt come on/light up at all. my system has worked perfectly in the past with the same setup :(.

thanks mateys for any advice :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hello and welcome to TSF :)

First, it'd benefit us if you would provide us with the components of the computer, motherboard, ram, processor operating system etc.

Since the USB ports on the motherboard have cut out, it could be a few things. First, lets check the drivers. Right click on My Computer, and go down to "Properties". There, click the hardware tab, and then device manager. Any red x's or yellow exclaimation points? If so, select and right click on the offending device and try and update the driver.

You also said the ps/2 ports for a 'normal' mouse and keyboard don't work? Or you've never needed them? Sounds like your motherboard chipset drivers are installed wrong or not at all.

Try that and get back to us :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.