Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have tried and given up on this one a few times. I have been unable to get MAME to run on a windows machine. Do you have to just have MAME on like a dos machine or what?

If so, could someone list what version of dos is best, I dont have any old dos only disks would win 3.1 work maybe?

Or is there something else missing?

I have basically just downloaded mame and a rom and put the rom in the folder and tried to get it to run, and mame always has some error and thats it>

Any info on this subject would be great,
plus any good download urls (MAME or ROMs) would also be grand!

Best o Luck all,

gNome

·
Registered
282 Posts
Give us a little more specs about your machine. What is MAME's requirements? What are the errors you are getting. Without that info we can't help you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, right now I am on a P4 3.0GHZ HT w/1gig dual channel ram, 250gig Hd, ATI x300 128mb, intel mobo on board sound.

It has been a while since I have tried MAME, I am pretty sure that the system requirements are not that high. I do have a version of MAME downloaded but I cant find any roms on this machine right off. I will try and hunt one down unless someone knows of a place I can find one..

I have an old Pentium MMX 233Mhz machine that I am thinking about turning into a MAME machine.

MAME being (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator) FYI.

Thanks for any info you guys!

gNome

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have MAME running on my Windows XP Machine. What Version of Mame are you using? If you can tell us the error that you are having we can get more of an idea of what your prblem may be.

MAME32 is probably the best version to use with such a high end system as what you have got. even try the MAME homepage they ahve a forum there and I am sure there are alot of enthusiests just hanging to help you out there.

Take Care

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure how you guys did it a cant get it to work on my xp at all went to the original site that i first downloaded mame32 from when i used it on 2000 i have read faq's till my eyes bled i have downloaded patch after patch even the classic one referenced above and i keep running into a you dont have permission to do that even when i try to unzip it im at a loss if you can enplane to me like i just got off windows 95 i will love you guys for life

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Hi, welcome to TSF

Have you tried installing DirectX 6 and running in Win95 compatibility mode? Are you logged into XP with admin rights?

·
Registered
3 Posts
wow after i posted the response i saw the date didt think any one would respond thanx:D

Well i'm not going to say im computer illiterate but outside of word processing and office-tec classes the only really training i have had has been on my parents computer when 95 was the only windows os.

I have not tried direct x6 yet

how do i run windows 95 compatibility mode

and by admin rights if that means the main account for my os yes

my wife and i bought a pc from wall mart so we can share pics of our new baby with the fam and i got torrents going i got everything i need but this so i mean im not too smart but if you will take your time to tell me what the hell and how the hell to do all this i wouldnt know how to thank you

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
I hadn't noticed the original date until you pointed it out. No wonder I couldn't remember typing my first reply. :grin:

I'm not sure if MAME will work on XP. I last used it 3 years ago on Windows 98/ME. To run in compatibility mode, right-click the icon for the program, select Properties and click on the Compatibility tab at the top of the Properties window. Then select Win95 or 98 and experiment with the options for '256 colors' and '640x480 resolution'.

Compatibility mode is not guaranteed to work. Sometimes it does, so it's always worth trying.

Just a word of warning about torrents: See this thread for details.

Also, make a backup to CD/DVD of any important family photos and store them away from sunlight and heat. Hard drives have a habit of crashing and losing data. When this happens, a backup is preferable to trying to recover the photos using data recovery software.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ouch yeah me two lol i just need to get the classics out of my system i nned my dd tower of doom and no arcade has that anymore well i will install direct x6 and try that hopefuly it works give me something to do waiting for batman to download thankx for the info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.