Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In our office, DSL internet comes to the 1st computer via a wireless router. With the same 1st computer, a hub/switch is connected which distribute the internet to other four computers of our office. One of the four computers also has a wired HP printer attached with it.

A line can be drawn like this:

Internet-----> Wireless router -----> 1st computer -----> switch/hub (wired) -----> four other computers -----> Printer attached with one computer.

The same Wireless router also provide internet to our two laptops wirelessly.

Wireless router -----> two laptops.

Though internet is shared with all computers and laptops. There are two problems with this arrangement.

1. Printer is shared only with the computers, including the 1st computer, but not with the laptops, i.e., we can not make print-outs from laptops.

2. If the 1st computer is shut down, its good that the printer is still shared with other computers, internet can only flow to the two laptops but not to the other computers.

Is there any solution with the above two problems?

I think that joining the wireless router directly to hub (through wire) will solve the 2nd problem, however, I am not sure if wireless router can directly be jointed to hub/switch. Please advise if I am wrong!

For the 1st problem, what I think the best solution will be is to purchase a wireless print server. However, I am afraid that, in that case, I can only be able to print from laptops and not by other computer through wired lan.
Please advise if I am wrong, if there is another solution to this.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Vivek

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have an old computer (really doesnt have to be that good) you could plug the wireless router into that and then connect the hub and printer to that one.
I think you should be able to plug your hub into the wireless router as well, though this might be model specific, try plugging the first ethernet output from your wireless router into the ethernet input for your hub. If this does work it should look something like:
Wireless router ---> Wired Hub ---> Computer 1/2/3/4/*

You could also try with the print server for example
Wirless router ---> Old computer ---> Printer
.............................................|---> Hub ---> Computer 1/2/3/4

For this you would need to set up internet connection sharing as you do already, just this way you wouldnt have a computer you would need to shut down as it wouldnt be used for anything.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Why in the world are you connecting through the first computer? A wireless bridge would solve this issue much nicer. :smile:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why in the world are you connecting through the first computer? A wireless bridge would solve this issue much nicer. :smile:
Thanks for your anwer!

Can you please let me know what is "wireless bridge" and how to configure it? If there is a link somewhere explaining it simply and throughly, please give it.

Vivek

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.