Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am in a pickle. I have a wonderful 10 year old laptop that I have put it up to the maximum capability that the screen is failing on. I cannot afford to buy a new laptop right now and I am school for certifications. My question is I have windows 10 pro and I am wondering if I buy an identical replacement laptop can I simply remove my to drive and just install them to that identical model and configuration laptop and have windows be functioning?

I have always read that windows keys into the motherboard on computers for installations this is why am asking this question. I am considering purchasing a replacement and just swapping out the drives and the ram and my battery. I have been looking on eBay and I can get a full replacement identical for under $200 which will save me a ton of money that I can put toward a new laptop when finances allow and get a machine that I really would want to purchase.

Here are the specs on my laptop:

HP Pavilion DV7 6b32us
Core i7 2.20 GHz
16GB RAM
2 drives:
OS Drive = 1TB SSD
2nd internal drive 1TB mech
Win 10 Pro

Need answer quickly please. Temporarily I am getting a second monitor because for school I have been using two screens, one being the laptop display and I have a second monitor. I have a relative that is getting me an additional monitor so that when my screen finally does fail I will still be able to use the computer but I will turn it into a desktop and run just two monitors because the computer itself is healthy and as I am the original owner and have taken excellent care of it and upgraded over the 10 wonderful years I have had it as you can see.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

· TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,911 Posts
It should boot. The question then thugh if Microsoft will let you continue to use your old Windows license on the new computer. If your copy of Windows 10 Pro is an OEM version, according to Microsoft it dies with the old computer, (motherboard specifically). If it is the Retail version of Windows 10 Pro though, you should be good to go.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The license is real deal…. This machine started on Windows 7 and I personally upgraded it myself to windows 10 home and since I was going to school for certifications I decided to upgrade to windows 10 home and purchased the pro license myself.

I keep a clone of my operating system drive because I have Acronis, my laptop still has the sticker for the license key that came with the machine when I bought it so if need be I can either overlay the clone again or just do an in-place refresh of the OS.

Please say a prayer that this works soon because right now is the wrong time to be buying anything tech because the market is horrible and I don’t have the money to buy a new laptop.

· TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,911 Posts

· Premium Member
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,184 Posts
As long as Bilocker/encryption is disabled (even with minor hardware/peripheral deviations) it should still be able to start up and work as usual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.