Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a really serious and sensitive question. but I had my pc seized last week by police the warrant indicated that I had ilegal images of children on my pc. I was appalled and so shocked because I am not like that and certainly have not seen any images as such. However I am worried that my pc which was repaired twice in the last 12 months may have had viruses etc on can these have accessed any ilegal site without me knowing?I am so worried about this. any help will be appreciated

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Hi, welcome to TSF

It's possible that your computer has been infected. The police should give you a report of any illegal content found, and the dates the files were created, and possibly where they were downloaded from. You can then compare this against the times your computer was sent away for repair to see if they match.

An infection could turn your computer into a zombie, which allows file-sharers to use your hard drive as storage space for their files, which can then be accessed by other file-sharers via P2P.

I would advise you to get legal help, and be co-operative with the investigation. Also, contact your ISP and ask for any records that could help your case.

·
Sr. Tech, TSF Team Emeritus Microsoft Support Staf
1,099 Posts
Do you have an unprotected wireless connection? If so any connections made by neighbors, or perverts who found it can sit in front of your residence and use your connection and ISP address to surf the net for their own jollies. Your ISP should have records as stated above as to search and times. Secure your networks with a random series of letters, numbers and symbols. Don't use family member's names, important dates that are known to others, pet names or favorite vacation spots. These are easily guessed.

Install a good firewall

·
Registered
264 Posts
Forgive me if this is too nosy, but I am very curious what led them to you. An anonymous tipper? Or are the feds spying on our files now or what? Or do you not even know..?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.