Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old computer has just been one problem after another, so I'm building a new system. Ive been looking at what HDD I'm going to put in it, and I've found a few I like but can't quite decide...

My question is, would it be better to have 7200RPM with 16MB Cache, or 10000RPM with 8MB Cache? And what would really be the difference? anything noticeable?

If it helps, I'm planning on using my comp for music, movies, and high-end games. About the extent of my knowledge is that higher RPM would help load times, but dont know much about the cache.

Never really put much thought into what HD I got before, but the one I have now is so sloooow and outdated, I dont wanna be stuck with another sub-par system.

Thanks!
Aaron

P

·
0 Posts
Hello,

RPM (Revolutions Per Minute), as the name suggests, refers to how many times the spindle makes a complete 360 degrees. turn in any single minute.
The higher the RPM, the faster the data can be read from the platters, which increases overall performance.

Cache: Short-term storage. A cache is used to speed up certain computer operations by temporarily placing data, or a copy of it, in a location where it can be accessed more rapidly than normal. For example, data from a storage disk may be cached temporarily in high-speed memory so that it can be read and written more quickly than if it had to come directly from the disk itself; or a microprocessor may use an an on-board memory cache to store temporary data for use during operations. 'Cache' is derived from the French word for a hiding place :))) Bigger cache means faster performance.

I would prefer greater RPM in your case. On the other hand you can get great HD's now as they are fairly inexpensive. Treat your computer with a good WD. :)

And of course if you take good care of your drive it will last long. Most of the HD companies are offering 5 year warranties keep in mind.

Regards.

hynedon177

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

To answer you question the bigger the cache the better to drive / but there is a dimenishing point also /

the 10,00 rpm 8 meg SATA drive will blow the doors off a 7200 rpm 16meg IDE drive

really quality drives are the western digital raptors (look at them on newegg.com or ebay)

seagate make very good IDE drives & SCSI <<< 5 year warranty !!

the ultimate system would have a 40 gig sata drive for the OS to boot and run apps from and a 80 gig IDE drive to back-up your critical data & music too
Sata controllers are a wee bit flaky so you must be preapred at any time to / abandon ship and re-install the OS this is no biggie if you adopt PROPER back-up methods right off the get-go (cloning)

dont hesitate to ask questions

joe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright, thanks. guess ill go with the 10k.

Plan was to use the faster (10k) but smaller drive to boot the OS and run apps, while using the HD I already had as storage (200GB 7200RPM [i think]) which is what you suggested anyway.

again, thanks for your help, and thanks for the welcome linderman

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.