Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am new to all of this computer stuff and am trying to install a new hard drive (maxtor diamond max 21) and a dvd burner, the problem is i don't know where all of the cables go... i have 2 ribbon cables and one is marked master and slave and the other is not marked anything... i don't know where all the 4 pin plug things go or what the jumper settings are for each thing... i have a cd drive and a floppy drive already installed, but without the cables as my son, being the expert (supposed to be) unplugged all the cables and now i don't know where they go... please help me and can you make it simple for me please

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Are these IDE devices? It sounds like they are.

I would start by looking at the jumpers on each and noting their positions. The back of IDE devices can be confusing with all the pins on them, but look for a jumper block on each. Once you have gotten that far, post back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my hard drive has a pin missing, along with the cd drive and the dvd drive.... wot do i do? and which cable goes where and what are the jumper points for each one

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
The pin missing is probably the key pin which is supposed to be gone.

Once you have found the jumper blocks, set each device to Cable Select (CS). Then take one cable and plug the hard disk into the place where it says Master and the CD drive into the place where it says Slave.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm sorry i am looking at the drive with the missing pin on the bottom... is cs the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th one...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm sorry... bin having a lot of probs with my comp now... couldn't get the comp to switch on the monitor... any way i've got all the drives to cs now... what do i do now?

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Did you mention you had two optical drives?

If you do, put both on one cable. Be sure to attach them so you use the two connectors that are closer to each other. Then put the hard disk at the master end of the other cable with nothing else connected.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have 1 dvd drive burner thingy and 1 cd drive thingy, and she decided that she wants her old hard drive in the comp as well as her new one... she is driving me round the bend... just cos my ex could do anything with computers she thinks that i can too... mad mad woman... i am just a learner not a bloomin expert like she thinks i am.... ooooooh!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.