Discussion Starter #1
Tech Specs -
Processor: Pentium 3 (497 MHz)
BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
Memory: 256 MB
Hard Disk 1: 37.27 GB
Video: NVIDIA GeForce4 TI 4200 Ver. 6.13
Connection: Toshiba Cable Modem PCX 1100U

I recently upgraded my older computer by replacing its old 13 GB hard drive with a 40 GB hard drive. I decided I would install Windows XP instead of Windows 98 on it because Win98 had some stability problems. After spending a couple days trying to upgrade the BIOS and solving other numerous problems, I got Windows XP installed. Now I'm not sure where the problem lies. I have it connected to the internet with the USB connection on the cable modem because the ethernet cable goes to my newer computer. After being on for about 3-10 hours, it can't connect to the internet. I checked the network status and when I tried to repair it, it said "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed." Then if I do much more than try to open internet explorer, it will say "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service." Keep in mind that I haven't been opening much more than Internet Exporer or sometimes Microsoft Word. I just recently upgraded the memory from 128 MB to 256 MB and that seemed to help it a little but it still freezes up after a while. I'm wondering if there is a memory leak somewhere...or possibly it has to do with the USB connection on the cable modem.

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
On a cable modem I wouldn't connect it threw a usb. Not saying that's your problem but I'd bet that's a start. Cable Modems seem to work better threw nic.(not sure why) I'd try rerouting it threw the nic first then I'd check to insure that my TCP/IP settings were set to obtain IP's automatically. If it was I'd also try running the IP release & renew commands. I'm not there to see it first hand but that's where I would start. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I am wrong but I thought that the repair feature on the nextwork status was the same as releasing and renewing the IP. The TCP/IP settings are set to obtain automatically. I suppose the best way to find out is to connect it with the ethernet cable and see if I still have the same problems.

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
The release and renew commands are to get a new IP address for the computer. When your computer gets an IP it's on a lease from a DHCP server. (in this case your ISP). The lease is only good for 8 days by default unless changed by your provider. If the lease expires and is not renewed by the DHCP server then windows provides the IP address.(When windows provides an IP you will have to do this. Windows has no idea as to what this IP address has to be.) IP release feature releases the current IP address and the IP renew request a new one. If this dosen't work there are several other ways to troubleshoot the problem however if your not sure about what I'm talking about I'd contact my local provider. They'll be able to come out and look at the problem. I'm just offering suggestions by what I'm reading. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Sounds to me like there is a problem with the TCP/IP stack. I would try reloading TCP/IP. If that doesn't do it, I'd ditch the USB connection, like Drupy said.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Have to join the chorus here, I've had nothing but grief from USB network connections, that's the first thing I'd change. You can pick up a second NIC for your machine for about $10. In truth, I'd seriously consider spending $40 or so and pick up a broadband router, a much better way to connect the computers! It'll act as a hub and also provide DHCP and firewall services to the network.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright I will try some of those suggestions and let you know if anything works for me.

What should I do about the resources error message? I don't understand why it would run out of resources. Windows XP runs fine on the other computer with 128 MB of memory and a 600 MHz AMD Duron processor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.