Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, hope someone can help.

I have just upgraded to a new computer with XP. Previously, I had a win98SE connected to the internet via cable modem. Other computers shared the internet through this computer via LAN/ router. For reasons of complex house geography the modem cannot plug into the router.

Now I have upgrader, my problem is that the new computer looks for the internet on the wrong network device. ie, instead of connecting through the modem it looks for the internet via the LAN card connected to the router ( I think). If I diconnect the LAN card, then the computer finds the internet connection via modem fine.

I had it all working fine, but I have done something (stupid) which I can't undo.

Any ideas?

Thanks

dins

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I guess I'd have to REALLY try to configure the network without ICS, since it's going to be nothing but trouble. Please explain why if you can run a wire from the cable modem to the router you can't use the router properly. :sayno:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cable outlet (and modem) is right next to the new (central) PC (this new computer replaces an aging win98SE machine).

However, because of the nature of the geography, the router (which is wireless and wireable) has to be across hallway from the central PC and modem etc to be useful to connect ALL the other computers (wired and wireless) in the house.

The current hardwire across the hall to the router from central PC is temporary, unsightly and dangerous and for the same reason the cable (and modem) can't connect permanently to the router.

When this current problem is sorted, I will add a wireless network card to the central PC so no cables will need to cross the hall.

Previously, with my old win98 machine this set up worked fine. Internet sharing through one central PC, BUT using third party software (WINGATE) to make it all happen as ICS stopped doing the job when I changed from dial-up to cable

Probably a diagram would make all this complicated discrition clearer. but words are all I've got! :)

Dins

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
_dinsdale_ said:
Now I have upgrader, my problem is that the new computer looks for the internet on the wrong network device. ie, instead of connecting through the modem it looks for the internet via the LAN card connected to the router ( I think). If I diconnect the LAN card, then the computer finds the internet connection via modem fine.
Huh? That doesn't make sense. I thought you said you got rid of dial-up and switched to cable? Whatever PC that is, it should be using the LAN aka Ethernet aka Network card to connect to the Internet.

_dinsdale_ said:
However, because of the nature of the geography, the router (which is wireless and wireable) has to be across hallway from the central PC and modem etc to be useful to connect ALL the other computers (wired and wireless) in the house.
So you are saying that you won't be able to provide your other computers with wireless networking if you keep the router and central PC in the same room? Have you tested this for yourself, or are you making an assumption? Have you thought of purchasing a wireless repeater to help extend the range of your wireless signal?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be clear. I have cable modem connected to one (new) computer via USB.

I want other computers on the LAN (all joined to a router, some by cable some by wifi) to go through this central modem-connected computer to the internet. It all used to work this way on the old computer, first with the dial up and now with the cable.

I want my ethernet card to be ONLY for connecting to the LAN and the USB takes care of the internet. BUT now, when enabled, the ethernet card seems to prevent internet access via this USB/cable modem.

Yes. I have tested the router in the ideal modem->router connection, but the signal to other computers in the house won't carry far enough...it has to travel through double brick and to another floor.

Even more complicated, not all the other computers are wifi and will only hardwire cable to the current location of the router. So I don't see how a repeater would help me in this situation.

Bottom line. I have had this system working. I made some blunder which I don't know how to undo.

Dins

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a couple of hours of mixed results here is more info/behaviour.

If I start the computer with ehternet card disabled, I can connect to internet via USB->cable modem no problem. Once in this state I can enable ethernet and for five minutes or so the whole thing works: I have internet, LAN and other computers on the network can access internet through central computer... then the internet disconnects and won't reconnect without disabling ethernet etc etc.

I tried forcing the router to have a fixed IP address which isn't its default 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.10... In addition I tried to give 192.168.0.1 to the ethernet card in the central computer... all experiments failed

Does this give anyone a clue?

dins

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
There is no way I'd even attempt to get a rig like this running, there has to be a better way! While running a cable isn't always easy, I've never seen a situation where it was not possible...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I have to agree with John. There has to be a better way for you to configure your network. No offense, but it sounds like one big mess, and i'm having a hard time understanding what it is you are doing over there. I certainly wouldn't be using USB for Internet, and why would you want to have Ethernet just for your LAN? Ditch the USB, and leave the routing to the router. Also, don't be afraid to run cables through your walls, in your attic, or even inside the baseboards.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
resolved

I got there.

Wingate, the third party replacement software for ICS gave me some fantastic after-sales advice.

The solution...

Central computer as Wingate server

Statitic IPs.

Enable DNS on client computers.

AND (this is the big one) disable Windows firewall and Windows ICS

Now my "messy" system is working reliably.

Dins

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.