Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of our PCs which is Running Xp Professional Sp2 (could be 3, cannot get in far enough to see which one) when booting up comes up with this error. I tried MS Article ID 307545 on "how to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting" but am getting stuck on the following command in step 1 in the Recovery Console:

copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak

I cannot copy the file. while reading through some of the posts on these forums...a last resort of using fixmbr was suggested. This PC I trying to fix is integral to daily operations, but if it can't load Windows...it is worthless, so is this an option I should toy with, or do any of you have additional suggestions?

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
Sadly, this indicates that the 'software' file is probably missing (thus corrupt as far as Windows is concerned).

You can carry on and use the original from the 'repair' folder BUT you will have lost all info re all the extra software installed.

IF this comp is basically a duplicate of other (even 1 would do) computers in/on your network, copying the c:\windows\system32\config\software file from that comp to the injured comp 'tmp' folder might suffice.

a reference; http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/886894.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.