Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am running an AMD Athlon with 512MB of RAM and 1.5GHz processor, and two hard drives, but one of them, the main one, C:, its memory keeps dissapearing! Now this has been happening for months but it keeps going off and on, my main drive i think is about 17GB max, its normal space free is usually around 5GB, which is fine for me, but one day it just started slowly dropping and im down to 40MB! I dont know what to do, i ran HijackThis and AVG, AVG found a bunch of stuff and got rid of them, Hijackthis however, i sent the log to their main site and they scanned it, they found some odd things there, those were removed, i googled them and they were viruses, but my memory is still dropping! Please help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is normal for hard drive space to be gradually used by windows (17Gb is a very small hard drive; it's likley that you have a single drive that has been split into two partitions). Run TreeSizeFree to find out what files and folders are taking up most of your hard drive space.

If your second drive is larger, then you might want to change windows' virtual memory settings so that the paging file is on your second drive.

If your system has been infected with viruses and/or malware in the past, then according to Microsoft, the only way to guarantee a clean system is to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
It is probably a combination of temporary files, and windows restore points. Try a cleanup using disk cleanup (start -> programs -> accessories -> system tools ) Make sure to go to the second tab ( more options I believe ) and clear all but the most recent restore point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I have already tried wiping the drive and doing a fresh reinstall of Windows, and that didint work, then i tried disk cleanup, it freed up 1GB, 5 minuets later it was back down to 3MB....So i tried TreeSize and it found the majority of the large files was in the temp folder, so i ran Disk Cleanup and cleared that out, it freed up 8GB! But once again after about 45 minuets im back down to 6MB! what the hell is going on?! And i checked for sure this time and i DO have two hard drives, not just one split in two, C: is 18.6GB and D: is 27.9 GB, i would assume that it is just a virus causing major havoc that AVG could not find, but i dont know what else to do, and by the way, im going to post the HijackThis Log here, cause i was wondering if any of it is bad stuff.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.