Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am buying new computer and I am aiming on configuration based on Intel XEON CPU. this is a whole new categorie for me and I dont want to spent money on something that in the end wont make much improvement.
This PC will be used only for 3D programs.For modeling I am using Rhinocerus 3.0, for rendering and animation 3dsmax7 with VRay renderer.

What I need from you is advice in buying hardware for my new computer, or share experience if u have similar computer.
My primary aim is offcourse to reduce rendering time.

-What motherboard and XEON CPU model do you suggest? i read that dual core xeons will come in October this year but i think i cant wait for them. but if its worth waiting ill think about it.
-How many GB of RAM. (i was thinking of 2GB for a start).
-ON my current PC i have big ZALMAN cooler and i am very happy with it cause it really reduced heat on my 3.0GHz cpu and u cant hear any noise but i cant find any ZALMAN coolers that will fit on XEON CPU. what are you suggesting.
-Whats the story with power supply for this configuration?
-and offcourse what graphic card, this PC will be used only for modeling and rendering so no games will be played on it.

Thank you all in advance!
Filip

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi,
Xeon CPU's are certainly the way to go is your looking for reliability and stability in architecture as they use gold.
here is a link to a site giving specs and comparision on some different machines
https://secure.dnuk.com/store/workstations.php
Hope it helps but personally if its for work and not a 3D gaming machine then you would be looking in the right direction for a high performance machine.
The specs i read are stock standard and come with PSU, GPU, and all other requirements except what the actual MOBO is.

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Golith, thank you for your reply. I found this link very usefull.

in between some people suggested me to better go with 1 dual core (eg 2.8mhz HT) CPU then 2 XEONs @ 3.0ghz HT 800bus. if anyone has experience in this area please advise! thank you.

golith, thanks again.

Filip

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.