Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm buying RAM and I have a couple of questions. First, if I have 4 memory sticks and my MoBo (an Intel 915P) supports Dual Channel, do all 4 sticks have to be of the same make? I peeled the little sticker off one of my 512mb sticks this morning and went hunting for 2 more of its kind.

My other question is, is there a difference between Mac and PC RAM? I ask because there are shops that sell my RAM as Mac memory, but it looks identical to PC RAM and has the exact same manufacturing number. Here's an example: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Samsung/32SAMDDR512/

Edit: It says as the bottom of the page that its Intel compatible. Just read that after posting this, sorry! :redface:

The way I see it I have 3 options,

1) Hunt down 2 sticks of M368L6423FTN-CCC, identical to the ones I own currently. (Maybe someone knows a shop that sells them?)
2) Buy 2 other brand 187 512 sticks and hope dual channel works this way (???)
3) Take out my current RAM, save it for emergencies and buy 4 identical sticks of RAM to use.

Any help appreciated! :wink:

T

·
0 Posts
Hi redfoot :wave:

You CAN have different RAM from different manufacturers. This is totally fine unless you run into compatibility issues. Also for the Mac PC RAM question, this is much of controversy. From what I read it is just RAM, that is used from different OEM's. They say it is top tier RAm and hardly every corrupts. They also say it comes from Samsung and many other things. The only issue with using their RAM would be a compatibility issue but that is it. Also how much RAM are you suspecting to have and are you running Windows? If you are running Windows what version, 64 bit?

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
you can go to crucial.com and use their memory scan or do a search for your specific mb and find exactly what ram is compatible with your motherboard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.