Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
only just purchased amd athlon xp2.6 [333mhz], gigabyte ga7vax via kt-400 skt a ddr 400 atx motherboard. hercules ati 128mb ddr rad 9000 pro and a verre v770k/case 350w psu. in addition to this i have a 17gb hdd, and a soundblaster 5.1 which i canabilized from an older system. i put all the components together (successfully i think) turned the computer on, it powered on for about 4-5 seconds then switched itself OFF the same thing happens repeatedly, there was no activity from the monitor and the internal speaker made no sound.
the processor installation was problematic as i removed the phase gel from the bottom of the heatsink accidentally, so the bottom of the heatsink actually touched the processor chip (i didnt actually turn the computer on though). having realised my mistake i went out and bought some replacement phase tabs and stuck one on the heatsink, so the processor chip looks to be insulated correctly.

does anyone have any ideas at all why this problem may be occuring. tech support reckon its probably a processor problem, i doubt its overheating as it never manages to stay on for more than 5 seconds.

any help would be much appreciated!

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
The gel keeps the processor cool:sqcold: That was not a good idea to take the gel off the heatsink. You might have fried your processor:sqhot:

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
When you put the heatsink back on, you might have crushed the "CORE" on the processor!

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to Tech Support Forums welsh wizard................:D

What are you using for Memory?

S

·
0 Posts
Which Configuration?

512MB DDR266, PC2100
512MB DDR333, PC2700
512MB DDR400, PC3200

S

·
0 Posts
Is the CPU Fan connected to the right header and is the video card seated properly?

S

·
0 Posts
Lets try the old out of the case routine..

Disconnect everything off of the motherboard except the CPU, Heatsink and Fan.
The fan should be plugged into the connector to the top right of the CPU. The one on the left of the two.

Take the motherboard out of the case and lay it on a phone book or something non conductive.

Hook up the following items only.

Hook up the wire that comes from the power button on the front of the case to the correct header, See manual. And only that wire.

Hook up the the power supply to the motherboard.

Insert one stick of ram.

Insert the video card all the way.

Hook up the monitor.

Hook up power to computer.

Turn on the monitor.

Turn on computer.

You should have video on the monitor.

This sounds like a lot of work but it narrows down the devices to a few.

Try this and post back with the results, Relax and take your time...
:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
excellent its working, basically i tried to get it working one last time before i returned it, i cleaned the heatsink well, removed any filth from the processor chip, bought some new phase material applied it to the heatsink and voila! it works perfectly

like you said speedo all that is needed is a little patience.

thanking you!!

:winkgrin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so now i have further problems....

using some basic benchmark program and also through direct x diagnostics, my processor is only reporting a clock speed of 1.3ghz not 2.6ghz as it should be....

any ideas??

cheers.

S

·
0 Posts
Go To!

Start

Accessories

System Tools

System Information

See what it says for a processor there.

BTW what OS are you using? I'm not sure if you posted it and I'm to lazy to look............LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
ok some progress... the sw1_switch on the motherboard was set to default 100mhz instead of 166mhz which is my mobo default so i now have a clock speed of about 2086mhz (approx 12.5x166) according to microsoft help & support :D

now i know what to do to get the extra 600mhz out of it problem is for some reason it wont work.

the ck_ratio switches on my mobo need to be set to 15x 166mhz and they are only set to 12.5x 166mhz as you can see 15x 166 = 2490 (essentially 2.6ghz)

when i try to set the jumpers to 15x the system just wont start so im obviously tripping some safety switch somewhere any ideas?

another thing gigabyte boards come with a program called 'easy tune 4' it reports that it is worried i have no system fan is this something i need to be worried about? i thought a system fan was optional??

thanks

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You have the correct clock speed for the XP 2600+, that number isn't the clock speed like an Intel Pentium, but rather the "effective" speed. 2100mhz should be about correct for that chip, you have arrived at your final destination. :)

You should have at least one case fan, and perhaps two. I normally install them to exhaust, since I find it to be more effective.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.