Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I try to burn an image under Nero, my burner halts and stops burning the cd. I have downloaded a windows update that said it was for cd burners, I have downloaded the newest version of Nero, and I have even tried other burning software but still, no luck. If somebody knows something that I don't, please help me because this is very frustrating. Thank you.

·
hey
10,189 Posts
Is it kicking back any error messages? Like buffer underrun or buffer overun?

Also, what are your resources at when you try and burn a cd?

Is power management turned on, screensavers, or other types of programings running in the background?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There aren't any programs running in the background except my intellimouse software and i don't have my screen saver on nor should i have to worry about system resources. I have 448mb of RAM and a PIII 933mHz processor so that probably isn't it.

·
hey
10,189 Posts
System resources get eatin up fast if you have/had programs running in the background. When I burn a cd I usually restart the computer, shut down anything that starts on startup and then burn. I try to have the resources atleast 90% free, but on my 98 machine I run msconfig and don't load any startup items, then restart and I usually get 98% free resources. I can't remember how to check resources in XP, but in 98 you can right click on my computer, go to properties, then click the performance tab.

Also nero has a helptool you can look at http://www.nero.com/en/helptool.htm

S

·
0 Posts
Hello

What brand of burner is it?

Also did you go to the Nero Toolkit and run Nero Drivespeed and Nero CD Speed!

Try this and see if it helps!

SPEEDO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brand

The burner brand is creative, model 8433e or something like that. I haven't tried the tools but I will, hopefully they do something.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My burner is on the list so I don't know why there is something wrong. I thought that it might have been windows xp so I downloaded the so-called "burner-fix" for it which didn't fix anything. The burner worked fine on 98se so i'm not sure what is wrong. I have even tried different burn software like cdrwin or something like that, but I get the same error. I guess the only thing for me to do now is to buy a new burner and throw that one out or just go back to the old 98se which I don't really want to do.

S

·
0 Posts
Which version of Nero are you using?

Relax! No need to panic yet!

BTW I am using Nero on XP with a TDK burner so I know Nero works!

Can you give me the exact model number of your burner!

SPEEDO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The burner model number is something like RW8433e and I am using Nero 5.5.7.2. I looked at the help tool as forementioned but that didn't have anything about windows xp in it. I opened the drive speed programs but what do I do with them? Do i leave them on while i burn or do i just run them once and i'm done? Also, thanks for your help.

S

·
0 Posts
For CD Drivespeed Go To

Start
Ahead Nero
Nero Tool Kit
Nero Drivespeed
In Options Click Detect
Then Click OK
Check Start Minimized
Check Restore Speed Settings At Startup
Then Close

When is the last time you ran disk defragmenter on this machine?
I usually run it before I do a burn!

There is a program out there called "End It All" that will shut down any background programs that are not needed!
I'm not sure if it will work with XP or not but I will find out and post back!

danracks is right about things running in the background! You probably have a dozen or more progams running with XP that you don't even know about, But more on that later!

I'll Be Back..:D

SPEEDO

S

·
0 Posts
Read about End It All here!

End It All

It may take a while to load!

It doesn't say anything about XP but it works with W2K so it may work on XP.

SPEEDO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried everything that you said and still i'm getting the same thing. I think it may be the burner or just windows xp but i'm not sure. I'm hoping it is something that isn't going to cost me money though :)

S

·
0 Posts
Let's start over!

First when you installed XP did you do a clean install or did you upgrade over Win98?

Also what version of XP do you have Home, Pro or Corporate and is it the full version or the upgrade?

How old and what speed is the burner?

Speed being 12X10X32 or something of that nature!

This is an established system we are talking about here, Right?

What I mean is everything was working with W98 then you installed XP and now the burner doesn't work, Right.

SPEEDO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did a clean install of windows xp pro, upgrade. The burner is probably 2 years old and worked fine with 98. It is 8x4x32 and yes, everything worked fine before xp so I'm not sure what is wrong. I got new aspi drivers last night and that didn't help either, same crap as before. I have even tried burning at different speeds but still, no luck. Thanks for your help SPEEDO

S

·
0 Posts
How many CD Roms, Burners and hard drives do you have and how are they setup on the IDE ports, Which is master and which is slave and so on!

According to what I have read about this it should work, But hey were dealing with M$ windows here!..:D

SPEEDO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have 2 hard drives and 2 cdroms. The two hard drives are the primary master and slave, the cdroms are the secondaries with the burner as the master.

S

·
0 Posts
This is from Creative!

For Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP/NT, IDE drivers are based upon the computer's operating system and motherboard, and they will be included with the OS or motherboard software. IDE drivers will be installed automatically when the CD-ROM drive is detected. Drivers can then be updated with the motherboard specific drivers if necessary. If you wish to have the latest version of drivers, please check your motherboard manufacturer's website for availability!

If you know the manufacturer of your motherboard download and install the latest drivers, this may be worth a try!

SPEEDO

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I went to my motherboard's manufacturer's page and downloaded a few updates. The files that I downloaded were bat files I think and they extracted a bin file into the same folder in which I downloaded them. Now that I have these bin files, what do I do with them? Do I just put them on a floppy and start my computer with them in the floppy drive or is there some other step that I am not doing. I hope that this works, thanks again SPEEDO.

·
hey
10,189 Posts
XEROX23 said:
Ok, I went to my motherboard's manufacturer's page and downloaded a few updates. The files that I downloaded were bat files I think and they extracted a bin file into the same folder in which I downloaded them. Now that I have these bin files, what do I do with them? Do I just put them on a floppy and start my computer with them in the floppy drive or is there some other step that I am not doing. I hope that this works, thanks again SPEEDO.
If you are talking about the bios updates, then you need a flash program. This should be avialable from the same place you got your bin file. There should be instructions there also on how to flash it. Follow them exactly, flashing the bios wrong can cause you motherboard not to work.

Basically it should go like this:
boot off of the floppy
run the flash program
back the old bios
flash the new one
restart

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.