Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new one on me. I've never seen a video card burn out. Luckily I can fall back on my motherboard on-board video.

The video card is an Octek Nvidia FX6600GT, 128mb PCI-E card. The system is a Fry's FM7740 (Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, 1gb RAM). I noticed the problem first during a system lockup when I was forced to do a hard power reset. When I powered back up I would only get a flicker of power, then nothing. Did the usual cord & connection check & reseat, and restarted. The system started to boot, and then I got a strong smell of ozone/burning, so I immediately shut down.

Since it was still under warranty, I took the system to Fry's tech support and told them I suspected the power supply had fried. I asked the techs to check the power supply, and replace it with a 500 watt unit if it was defective (it was a 350 watt ps).

They couldn't find anything wrong after it booted up for them, but I had them replace the power supply anyway.

Got the system home, reconnected everything, booted, no video. Reconnected to the onboard video and everything came up fine. I shut it down, took the cover off and pulled the video card. There are two small ic's at the opposite end from the connector end of the card that are burned, and burn marks & soot immediately surrounding them.

There aren't any loose cables near the card or anything loose in the system that could have shorted it. Any ideas on what could have caused it?
--

Thanks,
shammer

·
Registered
209 Posts
the card was either defective, seated improperly, or there was some surge either before your outlet or at your powersupply that fried it.
i assume you can get a replacement for free? i would recommend a new surge protector if you dont have one already.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.