Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the PSU went on my brothers PC frying the Mobo along with it.

I decided to build him a new one using his old ram, cd/dvd drive, and hdd. I bought parts that were all compatible with his old parts and built the PC (having experience building a few PC's already). Everything turns on fine and a red light goes on in the front of the case until it goes to the hardware monitor. I get an error saying bootmgr missing...
I went into the bios and set it to boot to the cd drive first. I put a windows 7 cd in and restarted. Same problem. I took out his hard drive and formated it in my pc. I put it back in but still same issue. Any ideas? Could the cd/drive be bad too or maybe the harddrive damaged? I used it as a slave and it worked fine...
ahh help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
EDIT

When the windows 7 cd is in the drive I do not get the bootmgr error message but i am am stuck at the hardware monitor screen and the red light stays on on the front of the case.

Also, the hdd and all components are recognized.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hello

Mastersplinter
There could be a few culprits to this problem but in order to know what is causing it we need to know the specs of the pc. If you can provide the brand and model of the fallowing items it will help us.
CPU
Motherboard
Video card
Ram
cd/dvd and hard drives
PSU (Make, model, and wattage)

How are the drives hooked up? Are they both sata or ide? Or a mix of both?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heehee just as I get a first response to this post I figure it out. The cd/dvd drive was bad and I fully wiped the hdd with KillDisk. Windows 7 is now installing...

Thanks anyway!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.