Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am going through hell trying to get my new computer to work.
The parts are as follows:

Abit AN8 Ultra Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
2x PC3200 512 MB Kingston HyperX RAM
Western Digital 250GB SATA HD
EVGA Geforce 6800GT
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
Sony DRU-800A DVD RW drive

Here's the problem:

I booted off of the DVD-ROM drive with a fresh copy of WinXP SP1, and everything seems to install fine.

But when winxp runs, things run very slowly. Even moving around a window is extremely choppy.

Also, the DVD drive refuses to read any of CD's giving me this error:
"Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory was completed"

Another problem is that I cannot unpack files such as drivers.
nVidia driver says the file is corrupt.
EVGA graphics driver cannot decompress most of the files.
Soundblaster driver cannot be decompressed.

I tried switching to a different memory module, but gave me the same problems so RAM is probably not the problem. I've checked the HDD using a utility from Western Digital. I managed to install the drivers for the nForce4 chipset and the AMD processor. I installed all the win xp updates including sp2.

Any ideas? I'd appreciate any response.
Thanks!

Henry

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Many of these boards require a BIOS update before they work properly with the 2X CPU's. I would check to see if you have the latest, and if not in this case (I usually don't recommend that if everything is working fine), then update the BIOS. If you check the board manufacturer's website, they usually provide some very helpful information about what the updates help. That would be my suggestion before you do anything else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After BIOS Update

OK, I updated to the latest bios, and it fixed the problem with running very slowly. The place where I bought the barebone said they tested it, so I didn't think this would help, but I was wrong. A major step forward!! Thanks Tumbleweed36!

But I still can't unpack files or read CDs. Any other ideas? Should I try reinstalling windows xp over the new bios?

Again, I'd appreciate any response.

Henry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Narrowing down the problem

About the file unpacking problem, i get these errors when I try to unpack the video card driver:

A decompression error has been detected._CRC
A decompression error has been detected._RW
A decompression error has been detected._DEF

Also, extracting sound card gives an error about CRC.

What does this mean?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the drivers are correct. I've downloaded them many times from different places to make sure the file itself is not corrupt.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Download Service Pack-2 from MS website

just for discussion / what PSU do you have make & model / those dual core systems are real power eaters

cheers

joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sp2 is already installed. the power supply came with the aspire x-plorer case. it's a turbolink switching power supply, 420W i think.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sfc /scannow is asking for the win xp cd, but my dvd-rom drive is not wokring, so I guess we have to fix that first.

Thanks dai.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found out what was causing the CRC errors. The nVidia firewall was corrupting the files i download. After I uninstalled it everything works fine!
Now only if i can get the DVD drive to work....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.