Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm having some real trouble with my new computer I'm building. When I turn it on the screen won't show anything. When I plug it up and press the power button, the fans spin, the case light lights up and so does the power and reset button on my motherboard, the fan and the lights on the cpu fan light up and the dvd drive seems to recognise the pc is turning on. However, there is nothing showing up on the monitor...

I've begun running out of ideas since I haven't even seen it POST. I pressed the "clr CMOS" button and now it turns on without me pressing the power button and the dvd drive doesn't blink or open any more. I'm really concerned. I tried removing one stick of RAM but still no show...

Anybody have any ideas?

These are my specs:

MSI DKA790GX
AMD Phenom II 940 BE 3.0GHz /w Cooler Master V8 Heatsink
OCZ Reaper HCP DDR2 PC2-8500 (2 x 2GB)
NVIDIA GTX 285
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
-No HDD at this stage but I figured all I want is to see it boot-

Cheers,
Hugh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks for replying.

I did a bench test, took out everything unnessesary and plugged in only one stick of RAM, the Graphics card, CPU, CPU fan, keyboard, mouse and PSU. I connected it to the monitor each time by Graphics Card DVI-HDMI-HDMI-DVI again and then would swap to the onboard HDMI-HDMI-DVI... This is quite confusing...

I tried every slot on my motherboard and I got no result. Also, it's still powering on immediately from me flicking the switch on the PSU since I pressed clr CMOS... I hope that isn't bad.

I'm wondering if it's because there is only 4 pins for the CPU power... I have a quad-core so shouldn't I have eight pins? If this is indeed the problem, is it too late for my CPU? And what Motherboard do you recommend for the above specs?

Cheers,
Hugh

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
If that CPU is compatible with that Mobo then the 4pin CPU power connector is all it requires.
If you followed the bench test instructions precisely and you do not get a bios screen on boot then you have some faulty hardware or hardware compatibility issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the box and it turns out that it supports the quad-core but it doesn't say 64... I'm unsure as to whether that's significant or not.

Right. I think I'm going to blame the motherboard, does that sound fair?

I've emailed my supplier about the problem so hopefully I can get a refund or replacement. What motherboard would you recommend?

Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.