Tech Support Forum banner

Building a new PC Help needed. Its that time again

884 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
Hi all, it is my 5th request here, once every 5 years, i need a new PC. I am on 5820k now but i have to upgrade. Main Task is Studio/Audio Work, heavy loads on the CPU and Huge Sample Libraries. The most help i need is CPU, RAM and Storage. Price point is not an issue but i also don't wanna spend a million dollars. this time it has to be a higher end PC, not a budget PC. I don't think i can/want use anything from the old PC, big Maybe the Case and some of the SSDs, that.s it. Unless someone gives me some ideas to save some money. My old rig is this:
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window Edition (with 3 Fans)
MOBO: ASUS SaberTooth X99 USB 3.1
GFX: ASUS GTX 960 Strix OC Edition 2GB
CPU: Intel I7 5820K
RAM: 4x8 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series, PC4 21300
Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S (1Fan)
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 650
Storage:
1. SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D
2. SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D
3. SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3-D
4. WD BLACK SERIES 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
CD/DVD/BD: LG Black 16X

Thanks All!

See less See more
#2 ·
The 960 card is probably usable but with only 2 Gb I suppose slow by today's standards. We have some good ideas here but probably could use some updating:
I just built a really quite impressive first AMD build for myself in years and really am impressed and it is not a lot of $ either.
About the only things you can use are the ssd drives as you suggest however the Ssd M2.280 drives for at least Windows are substantially faster than regular Ssd drives these days.

#4 ·
AMD will sooner or later pass Intel and I hear from reliable sources that will be with series 4 and there are some inherent advantages
but no question Intel units are and probably always will be more stable with less headaches. I had a failed build with this same hardware a few weeks earlier probably caused by a bad Gigabyte Aorus board but this one went up easily without a hitch with an AS Rock board and using a B550 board I would be ready for easy upgrade to Ryzen series 4.
Just a suggestion stick to AS Rock and Msi for motherboards, they are where the action is today. I have had 4 blissful years with my Intel i7 8700K build and have a 97009K i7 build also that has been somewhat trouble free with my only issues being network trouble caused by Microsoft Feature Updates a few times and yes Ryzen systems do take more tweaking and adjustment than Intel systems do. AMD systems always did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.