Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Let me start by saying I am a noob with computer hardware and I am in the process of upgrading my computer. It has taken me weeks because I ended up having to upgrade (buy new) one thing after another and waiting for it in the mail etc. I read through all of the manuals extensively because I had no idea what I was doing. Finally my new memory arrived today and I stuck it in and was able to get a signal from my computer to my monitor for the first time :) !

Anyways now I have a new problem. During the process of upgrading my computer I realized that my new mobo only had one slot for the hard drive/cd drives and so I had to buy an 'Ultra ATA IDE Controller Card' in order to accommodate my hard drive and two CD drives. Well when I boot up my computer it brings me to a couple black screens where I am able to select from a few different options. When I get through all of it, the Windows XP screen comes up and it shows the little loading bar for about 5 seconds at which point it briefly flashes a blue screen with a page full of white text and reboots itself.

From that point I go through all the screens again and it now gives me a choice to boot in safe mode. If I choose to boot in safe mode it starts up and gets past the Windows XP loading screen and I am able to log into my account and everything. So safe mode works just fine.

If anyone is able to assist me with this dilemma I would greatly appreciate it. I know that I probably need to provide my system specs and such, so I will do my best to give you everything I've got in my system. Let me know if you need any more info.

Computer Specs
Motherboard: TForce 550 made by Biostar.
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4200
Video Card: e-GeForce 7900 GS KO made by EVGA
IDE Controller Card: Ultra ATA
PSU: 450W
Case: Antec Sonata II
Hard Drive: 160GB ?Seagate? ?Barracuda? (Not sure)
Standard CD Drive
Memory: (2 sticks of) DDR-2 533 512MB made by Power Memory

Not sure if this matters but I have the hard drive plugged directly into the mobo, while I have the two disc drives hooked into the IDE Controller card that I bought.

Thank you very much for your help!
I'm counting on you :wink:

Tigger

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Try booting with your roms unplugged.
Did you do a clean install of windows with your upgrades?
In my sig, please use the power calcularor and add 30% to the final load and read the power supply info link.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.