Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Building a computer--HELP!

2K views 16 replies 1 participant last post by  SPEEDO 
#1 ·
I am currently building a computer and have an ECS P4VXAD3 motherboard with intel P4 2GHZ processor and 256MB DDR RAM. I have hooked everything up....... CD drive, Floppy, and 60GHZ motherboard and when i turn the computer on it does the memory check and runs through most of the start options but always freezes... a continuous problem is "No Array Defined" and i have no clue what that means. Any ideas? When i start the computer and go into options and CMOS options where you set the time and date the time will tick about 6 or so seconds and then STOP. the computer just dies and stays at that point. i tried to setup the RAID but the computer stops. Also, on my motherboard my speaker, power switch, reset switch, hdd led, and power led's have 2 sets of prongs for it- the PANEL and LPANEL. the LPANEL has every prong perfect to plug in all the LEDs but when i flip the power supply switch to ON the green LED in fron comes on, even if the computer isnt on. the Red light doesnt work right either and the computer doesnt beep when turned on. im having a really bad night FRUSTRATING!! :angry2:

G
#4 ·
OK lets start here.

First with the machine off and unplugged clear the CMOS by moving the jumper on JP1 to pins 2&3 for about ten seconds.

Then move it back to 1&2.

JP2 should be on 1&2

JP3 should be on 1&2

JP 4 should be on 1&2, 4&5 and 7&8

When you put the IDE cable on the hard drive it has to be an ATA 66/100 type with 80 wires. The blue end must go to the motherboard and the black end must be connected to the hard drive.

Put the hard drive on IDE one on the motherboard.

Put the CD-Rom on IDE two

And of course the floppy to the floppy on the motherboard.

Now take all the wires off of lpanel and panel and just hook up the wire coming from the power button on the front of the case to the header shown below. Do this first and then if need be we can move on to disabling the raid. OK

Attachments

#5 ·
Done. I looked at PC health and it showed my CPU temperature..... constantly increasing and at 106 degrees Celsius is locked up. Is my CPU overheating? i put the small amount of thermal compound that it said to... and also how will i go about disabling the RAID. thanks so much speedo

G
#6 ·
It's kind of strange that if you stay in the bios the temp rises.

When you get it setup and go into the bios the temp will rise as you watch it, But leave and come back a half hour later and it will be down again, Strange.

If you used thermal paste you should have removed that pad on the heatsink.

I have had no luck finding anything about the raid. I downloaded the manual and it's not in there. I think it said something about the optional raid manual.

I had a raid motherboard last year but it was an Abit.

Do you have a manual for the raid? Or is it in the motherboard manual. I'm confused as to why I can't find it.

I'll keep up the search tho.

G
#8 ·
Yeah a 100C is really to hot I wouldn't run it that hot.

Sounds to me like the heatsink isn't sitting flat on the CPU it might be hanging on something under there.

If it were me I would take the motherboard out and check to make sure it's sitting down on the CPU because it ain't never gonna run right or long like this.

I have a P4 2 Gig. in my machine and it idles between 35&45c depending on the room temp here.

You may need to study the Raid part of your manual really close to understand how to disable it.

Did you move the IDE cable to IDE1?

One thing you might want to try is going into the bios and auto detect the drives.

G
#12 ·
Do you have a Win98 Boot Disk?

If not go here and download it. Read the instructions on the site so you download the one for Windows.

Put a new floppy in your A drive and double click the file you downloaded to make a boot disk.

Then change your boot sequence to boot from floppy first.

Try booting to this floppy and see if you can fdisk the hard drive.

#13 ·
YESSS I GOT IT WORKING!!!! the heatsync wasnt flush on the processor... i didnt hav that square harness all the way into the MB...... but now the wires.... you have the manual with PANEL and LPANEL..... right now i just have the power switch like u said hooked up... coming from the box i have the following connectors that are labeled:

speaker- 4pins
reset switch-2pins
power sw-2 pins
"power LED"-3 connectors-2 wires(white and green)
and HDD LED-2 pins

this all seems perfect except for the power LED which had the 3 connectors just 2 wires (middle connector is empty).. have any ideas? also it says to start windows drive C has to be FAT32 or setup or something... how do i do this?
thanks a million!!!!!!! :winkgrin:

G
#14 · (Edited)
As far as the three wire thing, If you look real close there is a hole in the connector for each wire. take someting pointed and push it into the hole til you can pull out the wire and metal connector.

Insert in into the middle hole and then cut off the remaining plastic if need be.

Then just follow the diagram below. You may need to index the hard drive one on the pins for it to work. Only hook up the speaker to the lpanel connector.

Attachments

#16 ·
i am loading on an old win98 SE i have and then upgrading to XP Pro. right now it is formatting my HD.... that a good thing? When i hit ctrl+F when it says NO ARRAY DEFINED it says NO DISK FOUND and any key reboots the computer..... any idea what this means? but if i dont hit anything or ESC when it says NO ARRAY it just goes on thru with booting up... wierd?!??

G
#17 ·
I think that when you hook up a hard drive to either IDE3 or IDE4 that it detects it automatically, So maybe everything is cool.

Let it finish formatting.

If you change your boot sequence to boot from CD-Rom first you should be able to load right from the CD.

When it asks for verification of a previous version just stick the Win98 CD in the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.