Tech Support Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
32,161 Posts
Article updated 5/21. That's around an update, but version shouldn't make a difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Article updated 5/21. That's around an update, but version shouldn't make a difference.
There's a big warning:

Update: Following guide might not work since Predictive Failure Analysis (PFA) memory settings are not working in Windows 10 2004 and 20H2 releases. See discussion here.
So... should I downgrade my system version first?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I've had an HP Windows Vista machine since late 2007, still running it, and it has never had a BSOD. Windows 10 is a vastly inferior operating system.
Oh, well I had a guess that BSoDs may be happened because of bugs in the Windows code. I had various devices on Win10 and Win7, and on Win10 I saw BSoDs really more often. And also I'm sad that due to a bug I can't use RAM blacklisting in my Win10 2004.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Hi forum, I ran memtest86 and it found errors. I tried it with the timings stated here [ti]happy[/ti]X570 Vengeance Pro BSOD issue SOLVED! | GIGABYTE USA Forum and without them (with the default settings, no overclocking). This did not solve my problem. However, now I know that's the errors reason is my RAM. Or can it be a motherboard which doesn't work correctly with memory for some reason? Errors were found after literally a few minutes of process, so I didn't run the full test for the whole night.
Computer Font Personal computer Display device Gadget

Actually it found something like 2100+ errors, but I guess the good value should be 0. I've contacted both manufacturer and seller about replacement, but I bought a RAM stick more than a year ago. And I ain't sure which one is a culprit, as I have two the same models (bought in different times, in different shops), I guess I shall try memtest86 with just one stick, and then with the another one. But anyway, BSoDs appears not really usually as for now. And I think I should wait for the seller's and manufacturer's answers first.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,333 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
As yiou have found out, software cannot run perfectly on hardware that isn't. :(
Yes unfortunately, I'm glad that I've solved this issue on 90%, but what if it's the start of an adventure? I mean, what if I'll replace RAM sticks and this will not help? I heard that this issue may be related to the motherboard or even CPU, do you have any prediction (according to your experience of building PCs) which PC component could be most likely the culprit? I don't have any additional motherboards and CPUs to troubleshoot it deep enough, I guess I have only 2 solutions:
  • Change RAM sticks. Then, if not helped, change the motherboard, and then the CPU.
    OR
  • Contact a service center to ask them to run memtest86 for my RAM but on a different motherboard and CPU. Is this even possible? I was watching different price-lists but did not find such service anywhere. :/

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,333 Posts
Near impossible to know where the problem might be without testing. Unless there is obvious physical damage of course,

I'd try different known-good RAM first. Crucial US | DRAM, Solid State Drive (SSD) & Memory Upgrades "100% guaranteed compatibility."

PS - One step at a time. By the time we were to discuss all of the "if's" that might or could happen, we, and your computer, would be so old no one will even have replacement parts. ;)

·
Registered
Hardware/Windows
269 Posts
In most cases with Ram I test again on a test machine.. actually just a PC that has multiple connection ability, no OS, and I use software(memtest86) for ram, other software for other stuff from bootable media... always test sticks individually as most commonly in the case of multiple, only one is bad.... MOST commonly, but not always.
That way, I know if it is the ram, or ram slot at fault....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned about one or two BSODs a month. Your computer likes to be restarted from time to time.
Putting your system to sleep all the time should not be an issue. I've been doing that for almost 10 years now (occasional restart based on updates or program install) and I've never had an issue with BSODS. I did have a recent issue with random BSODS like mentioned in this thread, and I thought it could have been because I was using sleep mode as some mentioned. But, I started testing everything and discovered I had two bad sticks of RAM, I RMA'd them and the system is back to working flawlessly again.
I am on Windows 11 now and it is still the same as before.

If you have one BSOD a month it is an issue, if you have one BSOD every few months and it is the same BSOD you also have an issue. If you have one BSOD you should run tests to make sure after you make note of what caused the BSOD.

·
Registered
34 Posts
@mez0 It's not the fact you are putting your system to sleep that is causing the BSODS. If not putting it to sleep stops the BSODS then you have not fixed the problem you only stopped doing what made the problem obvious and it is more than likely to come back again. Please follow the advice I give above about testing one stick of RAM at a time with the Windows memory diagnostic tool, I had the same exact issue and this is how I discovered it was two bad sticks of RAM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I'd also Run Mem test on each stick of ram separately as 32 Gb could take a very long time (several Hrs) to to cycle through more than once. It's possible that you have some bad blocks and with 32 Gb it may be hitting those sectors only at certain times. If one of ;your sticks are bad then this method should help isolate which stick (or both) may be having issues.
Hi, this thread is several months old. Well yes, the culprit was a faulty RAM stick, I unplugged it and have no BSoDs since then. Memtest86 helped me a lot, albeit the built-in Windows memory scanner said my RAM has no problems at all. I contacted the manufacturer and they agreed to send another stick as soon as they'll be able to. 👍🏻

21 - 40 of 40 Posts