Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I have a PC on Windows 10 and sometimes it gets BSoDs, like once per a month or two. It happens very suddenly and I can't understand the reason, that's why I'm really frustrated. I don't use overclocking or down-volting for any component of my PC. I have the following error codes:

• MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (most often)
  • DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL (pretty often, but it does not mention which driver is problematic!!!)
  • PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (quite often)
  • UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION (just once, this is the most recent one, occured in February 2022).
I ran built-in memory test feature in a standard mode and it displayed that I have 0 errors. However, my predict is that the reason is my system SSD, as I bought it just for a few dollars, and CrystalDiskInfo says that it has 92% of health (my another SSD has 99% of health). And also I think that the reason is SSD because the last error code were related to storage, and at least one of the errors were mentioning SysMain which is for interaction between RAM and storage.

Please write any suppositions, as I really don't know why such errors appears!! I can provide any additional info yous will ask. I've really asked almost everyone about the BSoDs I have.

And Windows never says what driver causes errors. And the driver names does not appear in BlueScreenView or Event Viewer.

My PC specifications:

• System Manufacturer: MSI
  • OS - Windows 10 version number 2004 (19041.388)
  • x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit)? x64 (64-bit)
  • What was original installed OS on system? Nope, my PC had no OS when I bought it, and also I was reinstalling Win10 once.
  • Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? Full retail version (I purchased it from retailer)
  • Age of the computer (hardware) 1,5 year (since August 2020)
  • Age of OS installation - and whether you have re-installed the OS Reinstalled it less than a year ago, in November 2021. Previously installed in August 2020.
  • Laptop or Desktop computer? Desktop computer
  • CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700
  • Video Card Gigabyte GTX 1650
  • MotherBoard MSI A320M A PRO
  • Power Supply - brand & wattage Aerocool 450W ECO
  • RAM: Corsair Vengenance RGB PRO 32 GB (16x2).
  • SSDs: Apacer 128GB (system SSD), Goodram CX400 1TB (additional SSD)
  • HDD: ADATA HD330 1TB (external HDD)
  • Fans: 2 Aerocool 120mm fans for the case, and CoolerMaster fan for the CPU. My CPU does not get overheat, but I did never change thermal interface of it.
  • Case: something by Aerocool, not really sure if that's important, but I can find the model name if that's important.
SysNative program output attached (I had to create the archive manually, the program was just saying "Waiting for SystemInfo..." so I had to close it.

If I wrote in the wrong section, I'm sorry. And if I forgot to mention/attach something please let me know and I'll do it. I really want to get rid of the BSoDs. Thank you, and have a good day :)

Attachments

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
11,341 Posts

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
32,169 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned about one or two BSODs a month. Your computer likes to be restarted from time to time.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,884 Posts
I would look at very poor quality Psu as well as Ssd drive. Not a a big purchase to replaqce either with quality though that said one or two Bsods a month isn't serious the problem is the poor quality Psu will harm system hardware as it weakens over time so that is a necessary replacement anyway if you want system to last. The best are Seasonic or Super Flower and many EVGA (550 watts and up are Super Flower), and many Antec psus are Seasonic made. Neo Eco. HCG, True Power New and Trio Antecs are all Seasonic made.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi SpywareDr, I have used the WinDBG software in before, but I was opening minidumps via this. I still have my minidumps and they were not mentioning a driver or a component which occured the error, they were just blaming the ntoskrnl.exe file. I did not try it on MEMORY.DMP (which is a full memory dump, as far as I understand), and I deleted this file on purpose, because it had a size of few gigabytes and my storage space is really small.

If I'll have a BSoD once again I guess I'll try to do the steps from that article, thank you.

I wouldn't be concerned about one or two BSODs a month. Your computer likes to be restarted from time to time.
Hi Corday, this message really gave me hope :) One of my friends said that it's normal to have RAM errors time by time, because I have 32 GB of RAM and in this case small errors occur inevitably time by time. My RAM is not ECC memory, albeit in BIOS I saw an option to enable automatic correction, I don't remember if I enabled it, and I don't really think it will be useful in my case (because even if my motherboard supports ECC, my RAM most likely doesn't).

And also BSoDs appears less often than once or two per a month, my last BSoD was on 24 Feb, the previous one was on 31 Jan, and the previous was somewhere in November :) So I had only 3 BSoDs since I've re-installed my Windows, but they always happen very suddenly and scare me, I'm not a real pro in PCs just like you guys are.

I would look at very poor quality Psu as well as Ssd drive. Not a a big purchase to replaqce either with quality though that said one or two Bsods a month isn't serious the problem is the poor quality Psu will harm system hardware as it weakens over time so that is a necessary replacement anyway if you want system to last. The best are Seasonic or Super Flower and many EVGA (550 watts and up are Super Flower), and many Antec psus are Seasonic made. Neo Eco. HCG, True Power New and Trio Antecs are all Seasonic made.
Hi Rich-M, I thought about replacing PSU and SSD in before, most likely I'll do it. I know that replacing SSDs can be done very easy, but what to do if this is my system SSD? I'll buy a new SSD, but I should move all the files somehow, can it be done via BIOS? Or maybe via Windows GUI? Is there a chance that I'll lost access to some files in this case? I don't really think that a BSoD or a power outage may occur while I'm moving the files from one storage to the another one, but could be there any other problems?

As of PSU... well yes, this was a really cheap model when I bought it, I wanted to replace it already, but for another reason (I wanted to buy a new graphics card and a new PSU for it, but then decided not to buy them both). Could replacing of PSU be a hard proccess? It sounds like I just need to change the cables for storage devices, mainboard and... I'm done? I guess the front USB panel (which controls RGB too) should be connected via PSU too? Which connector does it use? I'm a real noob in all this stuff...

And also I'm really glad to see that having BSoDs not really often is not a real issue, like I said in before the fact that they appear suddenly was making me scared :) but I guess I don't really need to panic (without considering the PSU and SSD stuff).

Also I wanted to say that I almost never use the Shut Down or Reboot things, I just use the "Sleeping mode" for my PC instead, could it be related to BSoDs somehow? My PC does automatic reboots after BSoDs, and I do shut down only when I have large power outages (when my UPS beeping for a minute or two).

Thank you all for your messages, you guys are really helpful, and I'm glad I found this forum. 🌞

·
Moderator , Security Team
2,217 Posts
Also I wanted to say that I almost never use the Shut Down or Reboot things, I just use the "Sleeping mode" for my PC instead, could it be related to BSoDs somehow?

When you put a computer into sleep mode it does not fully shut down, and if you always use this mode, then I've read reports that it can sometimes cause Ram problems (I've no personal experience of it doing so), so from time to time it's a good idea to shut your machine down fully.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

When you put a computer into sleep mode it does not fully shut down, and if you always use this mode, then I've read reports that it can sometimes cause Ram problems (I've no personal experience of it doing so), so from time to time it's a good idea to shut your machine down fully.
Hi, this article is more for laptops than for dekstop PCs as I can see, and also on the same website there's an article named PSA: Don’t Shut Down Your Computer, Just Use Sleep (or Hibernation), and they does not say anything about RAM corruption there. o_O

·
Moderator , Security Team
2,217 Posts
Another thing to remember is that to update a service a Windows computer needs to shut down fully as drivers cannot be installed on an active machine, and must be replaced over a reboot, so if you're only ever shutting down with sleep mode, then that never happens, and it's possible to have services that have not been properly updated sitting on your machine.

There is absolutely no problem for most people using sleep mode, but from time to time you should do a full shut down, just so things can "update" properly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another thing to remember is that to update a service a Windows computer needs to shut down fully as drivers cannot be installed on an active machine, and must be replaced over a reboot, so if you're only ever shutting down with sleep mode, then that never happens, and it's possible to have services that have not been properly updated sitting on your machine.

There is absolutely no problem for most people using sleep mode, but from time to time you should do a full shut down, just so things can "update" properly.
I'm pretty afraid of using the Windows update centre and everything related to it. I remember when I tried to update my Win10 21H1 to 21H2 (I guess), update was applied, but my PC was bsoding every minute since boot. And I had to reinstall my Windows and I lost all my data on storage. Right now I'm working on something important, and data loss would be really frustrating for me :-( I guess I should try it later, I plan to do a full update of Windows and all drivers, but maybe I should do it not via Windows Update Centre? I heard that it's possible via USB, but I don't understand how.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,884 Posts
If you only use power management and do not shut down, ram doesn't reset and that alone could be cause of BSODs.
PSU replacement in most cases is 4 screws and 4 plugs just carefully note where the plugs were as you pull each out, its not "rocket science" and you will be fine. Cloning the hard drive is the easiest way not to lose anything changing out the Ssd drive. There is free software but Acronis True image is really the easiest and best to use and inexpensive. Create a rescue disk utilizing either a cd or flash drive and in that environment cloning is really easy especially now while drives are all new.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you only use power management and do not shut down, ram doesn't reset and that alone could be cause of BSODs.
Hi, on another forum one guy suggested to use the RAMMAP program, it has buttons to clear RAM, I used all them and 5 Gb of my RAM got freed. Can I use this solution instead of rebooting / shutting down? I downloaded it from Microsoft website, it looks like a really cool tool for me.

PSU replacement in most cases is 4 screws and 4 plugs just carefully note where the plugs were as you pull each out, its not "rocket science" and you will be fine. Cloning the hard drive is the easiest way not to lose anything changing out the Ssd drive. There is free software but Acronis True image is really the easiest and best to use and inexpensive. Create a rescue disk utilizing either a cd or flash drive and in that environment cloning is really easy especially now while drives are all new.
Thank you for the tips! I also have a question about 20/24 pin-cables for motherboards. My motherboard uses only 20 pins, is it compatible with 24-pins PSU? I can imagine 2 ways of connecting the cable (left to right and right to left), are they both acceptable or not? I mean, in one case there will be 4 pins from the left side not plugged into anything, in the another case there will be 4 pins from the right side not plugged into anything. Which way is correct?

·
11,341 Posts
Apparently not. ;)

ATX 24-pin Power Supply Connector with 20-pin Board & Visa Versa
... Technically, a 20-pin ATX connector can be plugged straight into a 24-pin motherboard socket, leaving male pins 11, 12, 23, and 24 unconnected.
The four pins that you are leaving open are just redundant lines for higher current capability (see this guide to ATX connectors and pinouts). The power connector is polarized, so it's difficult to insert it wrong into the header unless you force it really hard. Nevertheless, double check that pin 1 goes into pin 1. However, power supply compatibility is not merely a mechanical issue. There was obviously a good reason to add extra four wires to the main cable-- it was done to support higher current requirements.

·
11,341 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello guys,

I have a PC on Windows 10 and sometimes it gets BSoDs, like once per a month or two. It happens very suddenly and I can't understand the reason, that's why I'm really frustrated. I don't use overclocking or down-volting for any component of my PC. I have the following error codes:

• MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (most often)
  • DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL (pretty often, but it does not mention which driver is problematic!!!)
  • PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (quite often)
  • UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION (just once, this is the most recent one, occured in February 2022).
I ran built-in memory test feature in a standard mode and it displayed that I have 0 errors. However, my predict is that the reason is my system SSD, as I bought it just for a few dollars, and CrystalDiskInfo says that it has 92% of health (my another SSD has 99% of health). And also I think that the reason is SSD because the last error code were related to storage, and at least one of the errors were mentioning SysMain which is for interaction between RAM and storage.

Please write any suppositions, as I really don't know why such errors appears!! I can provide any additional info yous will ask. I've really asked almost everyone about the BSoDs I have.

And Windows never says what driver causes errors. And the driver names does not appear in BlueScreenView or Event Viewer.

My PC specifications:

• System Manufacturer: MSI
  • OS - Windows 10 version number 2004 (19041.388)
  • x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit)? x64 (64-bit)
  • What was original installed OS on system? Nope, my PC had no OS when I bought it, and also I was reinstalling Win10 once.
  • Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? Full retail version (I purchased it from retailer)
  • Age of the computer (hardware) 1,5 year (since August 2020)
  • Age of OS installation - and whether you have re-installed the OS Reinstalled it less than a year ago, in November 2021. Previously installed in August 2020.
  • Laptop or Desktop computer? Desktop computer
  • CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700
  • Video Card Gigabyte GTX 1650
  • MotherBoard MSI A320M A PRO
  • Power Supply - brand & wattage Aerocool 450W ECO
  • RAM: Corsair Vengenance RGB PRO 32 GB (16x2).
  • SSDs: Apacer 128GB (system SSD), Goodram CX400 1TB (additional SSD)
  • HDD: ADATA HD330 1TB (external HDD)
  • Fans: 2 Aerocool 120mm fans for the case, and CoolerMaster fan for the CPU. My CPU does not get overheat, but I did never change thermal interface of it.
  • Case: something by Aerocool, not really sure if that's important, but I can find the model name if that's important.
SysNative program output attached (I had to create the archive manually, the program was just saying "Waiting for SystemInfo..." so I had to close it.

If I wrote in the wrong section, I'm sorry. And if I forgot to mention/attach something please let me know and I'll do it. I really want to get rid of the BSoDs. Thank you, and have a good day :)
I've only had one BS in over a year between two PCs. Not sure if that's common or not but, for me even 1, is 1 too many.

What does your windows Reliability Report say. It should list certain causes and even if there are no actual shudowns it should lists Red Errors and their possible related causes. There may be something going on in the background that you aren't aware of that only shows up periodically which may mean that your shutdowns may be the result of something else.

I'd also Run Mem test on each stick of ram separately as 32 Gb could take a very long time (several Hrs) to to cycle through more than once. It's possible that you have some bad blocks and with 32 Gb it may be hitting those sectors only at certain times. If one of ;your sticks are bad then this method should help isolate which stick (or both) may be having issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've only had one BS in over a year between two PCs. Not sure if that's common or not but, for me even 1, is 1 too many.

What does your windows Reliability Report say. It should list certain causes and even if there are no actual shudowns it should lists Red Errors and their possible related causes. There may be something going on in the background that you aren't aware of that only shows up periodically which may mean that your shutdowns may be the result of something else.

I'd also Run Mem test on each stick of ram separately as 32 Gb could take a very long time (several Hrs) to to cycle through more than once. It's possible that you have some bad blocks and with 32 Gb it may be hitting those sectors only at certain times. If one of ;your sticks are bad then this method should help isolate which stick (or both) may be having issues.
Hi, the Windows Reliability Reports says that I had one Windows-related error recently (other errors are related to bugs in programs I use):

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎15.‎04.‎2022 7:17

Condition
The report has not been sent

Description
An error when working with devices led to incorrect operation of Windows.

Problem signature
Name of the problematic event: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 144
Parameter 1: 3003
Parameter 2: fffffa83cb18e6b0
Parameter 3: 40010000
Parameter 4: 0
OS Version: 10_0_19041
Update Package: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19041.2.0.0.256.48
Language code: 1049

This happened 15 April 2022 7:17. And the last BSoD was on 24 Feb 2022. I did some googling and found this answer:

A LiveKernelEvent with code 0x144 and Parameter 1 value of 0x3003 indicates that a USB device failed enumeration.
My guess is that it may be related to my Bluetooth+Wi-Fi adapter somehow. Like I said, it has some bugs (sometimes the quality of bluetooth audio connection becomes really bad and I have to unplug and plug the adapter to fix it). Not sure exactly if that's related to the error.

I also did not use memtest86 yet. I wanted to ask, is it possible to scan my RAM without disconnecting a stick from motherboard? I mean, I want to understand which RAM stick exactly is the culprit, but without unplugging it...

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
32,169 Posts
I also did not use memtest86 yet. I wanted to ask, is it possible to scan my RAM without disconnecting a stick from motherboard? I mean, I want to understand which RAM stick exactly is the culprit, but without unplugging it...
Yes you can.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts