Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted some time ago regarding BSODs that I've encountered. I looked at the event viewer and noticed that in some cases, there's an error log where i8042prt.sys failed to boot a few seconds before the BSOD hit. I also notice that the error always seems to happen just after I use the keyboard or mouse. I've encountered various error codes including:

0x77
0x8E (0xC6, 0xBF8C5E84, 0xB9875568, 0x0) - win2k.sys - Address BF8C5E84 base at BF800000 - Datestamp 43446a58
0xF4 (0x3, 0x8649AB90, 0x8649AB04, 0x805D1140)

I also cannot get any memory dump files to be written despite checking startup & recovery to make sure files were being written to disk, no dice.

It's really started to get annoying and I'd appreciate any input you have.

Also attached a Hijackthis text file fyi.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
dai's link associates this file with soundcard. My research calls it a driver for the PS-2 port. Perhaps there are two separate drivers with the same name, or the same driver is used for both functions. Is there anything about your soundcard that might indicate there is a problem ?

Check Device Manager for hardware conflicts (yellow or red flags) & report. Be sure to enable "Show Hidden Devices".

Memory dump files can be enabled/disabled in XP. Verify "My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup & Recovery>Write debugging information" is enabled & report it's past & current status.

Without getting too heavy into technical troubleshooting, I'm wondering if running sfc /scannow might simply fix it without ever needing to know exactly what the problem is.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
You're right. Its a PS/2 mice driver part of Windows in C:\Windows\System32\drivers included in Microsoft Windows Driver Kit (WDK).

Run a sfc/ scannow (from start>run) as suggested above with your XP CD inside the drive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.