Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Happens quite randomly, although it does happen more frequently especially when I'm playing Battlefield 3. Also, it is notable that when I play Battlefield 3, somethings I get 'attacked' by graphical artifacts (?), the whole screen is just a mess of lines etc. This also affects out of the game. I checked the temperature of the GPU when it was still happening and it was only around 53C. It continued no matter what I did, besides restarting, which made it completely clear up and back to normal. If I access the PC from another PC (via LogMeIn) it seems to be normal. Also, I've previously had trouble overclocking and changing the voltage of different CPUs and GPUs. I wonder if it's the PSU that is the cause? - not powerful enough/faulty?

It is notable that, in the EventViewer, there are many events of hard drive 'bad blocks'.

I have previously run Driver Verifier in which it BSOD'd for me, in which I further looked into it, and turned out it was a daemon tools driver that was the cause. I have uninstalled Daemon tools and SPTD, and the Driver Verifier ran without BSOD. Although I still get this 0x4E BSOD at random times.

I have attempted a Hitachi DFT, but it did not run properly when booted, possibly due to my operating system being 64bit (which I noticed it said it only worked on 32bit systems on the Hitachi site) - I attempted to boot it from another PC and it worked fine.

I have attempted a Seatools long test on my system drive, but throughout - somewhere from 50% to 99% - it froze with a continuous beep from the PC tower. There seemed to be unknown little green text or something on the top edge of the screen - it seemed that it was definitely not meant to be there as I couldnt interpret anything from it.

I have also attached a minidump of my most recent 0x4E bsod.

· OS -
Windows 7 x64 SP1
· What was original installed OS on system?
None
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?
Full retail version
· Age of system (hardware)?
Hard drives - 4-5 years
CPU - Few months
GPU - 1-2 years
Motherboard - 1-3 years
PSU - 1-2 years
RAM - 1-2 years
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?
6 months to 1 year old
· CPU
AMD 1090T Running stock + ASUS Silent Square EVO
· Video Card
GIGABYTE HD4770 1GB
· MotherBoard
GIGABYTE MA78G-DS3H
· Power Supply - brand & wattage
Antec 520W NeoEco

Attachments

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft MVP
7,483 Posts
This sounds like a hard drive problem.
1. BACKUP YOUR STUFF!!! If the hard drive fails completely it'll cost big $'s to recover the data!!!
2. Run different hard drive tests. If all continue to not recognize your hard drive, then it's likely that that is the problem. You can increase the reliability of the tests by only having 1 hard drive connected at a time (this way a bad hard drive won't affect the test on a good hard drive).

perfmon reports that your AMD High Definition Device is disabled. Is this deliberate? If so, why?

The attached memory dump is a Verifier Enabled Memory dump. First, please turn off Driver Verifier. To do this, open Driver Verifier. Then click on "Delete existing settings". Then click on "Finish". The reboot the system.

The memory dump points to a Windows driver. In most cases Windows drivers aren't at fault. So this leaves:
- 3rd party drivers
- hardware

3rd party drivers should have been caught by Driver Verifier also, so this leaves us with hardware as the probable cause. Hardware includes:
- hardware failure
- compatibility issues
- low-level driver problems
- malware

I see that AMD OverDrive is on your system. It's a possible cause of BSOD's, so please uninstall it. If overclocking, please remove the overclock and return the system to stock values to see if that restores stability.

In summary, I strongly suspect your hard drive. The ultimate test is to see if it has problems with a hard drive that has passed the diagnostics (that's why I recommended disconnecting all but one of the hard drives when testing).

BSOD BUGCHECK SUMMARY
Code:
[font=lucida console]
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\FUBAR\_jcgriff2_\dbug\__Kernel__\010912-28813-01.dmp]
Built by: 7601.17640.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506
Debug session time: Mon Jan  9 03:39:37.619 2012 (UTC - 5:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:46:29.790
Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiBadShareCount+4c )
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x4E_99
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VERIFIER_ENABLED_VISTA_MINIDUMP
PROCESS_NAME:  System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x4E_99_VRF_nt!MiBadShareCount+4c
Bugcheck code 0000004E
Arguments 00000000`00000099 00000000`000aebba 00000000`00000003 00000000`00098d91
BiosVersion = F9e
BiosReleaseDate = 07/06/2010
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

[/font]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have deliberately disabled the AMD High Definition Device because it was interfering with my Realtek audio driver.

I didn't realize that it was a Verifier Enabled Memory Dump; I have done as you said.

I will uninstall AMD Overdrive and I will do some hard drive testing with only my system drive connected. I'll get back to you about it.

Thanks!

EDIT: It seems that AMD Overdrive is integrated into the 'AMD VISION Engine Control Center' - I have disabled it anyway via the program (not knowing why it was enabled in the first place!) - is disabling it enough? Or should I attempt to uninstall the AMD VISION Engine Control Center as a whole?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm assuming you're talking about me disabling the AMD High Definition Device - I can recall having a BSOD AFTER disabling it though. I'm waiting for another BSOD though to confirm that it isn't fixed entirely (because I believe that some fault is still lurking around in there) - meanwhile doing hard drive testing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just thought I should let you know:
My computer just automatically rebooted right now, whilst I was playing Battlefield 3, without any warning except for a freeze. There was no BSOD, minidump or memory dump.
Event viewer has 2 Error events (Event ID 1101 and 6008) and 1 Critical event (Event ID 41) at the time of the crash.

In my Startup and Recovery window from System Properties, I have 'Write an event to the system log' checked and 'Automatically restart' unchecked along with below it set to Write a Kernel memory dump (pointed to %systemroot%\MEMORY.DMP).

·
7,483 Posts
Please follow the directions here to set your system for Minidumps (much smaller than the MEMORY.DMP file): Set MiniDump

We're in a quandry here - do we believe Western Digital (the test passed) or do we believe the other tests (all of whom failed) and the results of the BSOD analysis? Do you have a spare hard drive that you can use to replace the current one?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have a spare hard drive to use. :frown:

What do you think of the PSU possibly being the cause?
-Using eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite (eXtreme Power Supply Calculator) I've calculated my average wattage and it is well below 520W (~min. 323W)
- I've never been able to overclock either my CPU or GPU with or without changing stock voltages - it would always crash no matter what.
-PSU still under warranty
-The idle rail voltages of this PSU have been tested via a multimeter and they seem accurate

For the sake of it, I'm going to use the PSU from a friend and see what results it gives me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[Haven't changed PSU yet]

I got a BSOD and a mini dump from playing Battlefield 3. It's a different one this time.

Check out the attached mini dump!

Attachments

·
7,483 Posts
This one looks like video (DirectX).
Are you overclocking?
Are you using an SSD?

Post here for PSU advice: RAM and Power Supply Support - Tech Support Forum
Include a link to this post so they can see what's going on.

You have a very old version of LogMeIn installed (remote control software). Please uninstall it immediately.

BSOD BUGCHECK SUMMARY
Code:
[font=lucida console]
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\FUBAR\_jcgriff2_\dbug\__Kernel__\011012-25428-01.dmp]
Built by: 7601.17640.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506
Debug session time: Tue Jan 10 08:05:05.386 2012 (UTC - 5:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:33:23.572
Probably caused by : dxgmms1.sys ( dxgmms1!VIDMM_GLOBAL::DestroyOneAllocation+2d8 )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x3B
PROCESS_NAME:  bf3.exe
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x3B_dxgmms1!VIDMM_GLOBAL::DestroyOneAllocation+2d8
Bugcheck code 0000003B
Arguments 00000000`c0000005 fffff800`03208007 fffff880`092f2a10 00000000`00000000
BiosVersion = F9e
BiosReleaseDate = 07/06/2010
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``

[/font]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
- I'm not overclocking at all
- Not using a SSD

I'll go ahead over to the PSU support and see where that leads me

Thank you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.