Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone: I have Win XP Home Editions with Win XP professionial

as an upgrade installed. So I have the original install CDs for both systems.

After several messages saying that a driver might be causing a problem,

and many "hard shutdowns", ie pulling the plug, I am now getting BSOD!

It says "stop 0x00000024 error". When I put in the Win XP Pro upgrade
Cd to try a repair

I get to a page which says: "Examining 114471 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on

atapi..." . After an hour or so it has done nothing!

My HDD is 114gb. Can I re-install Win XP upgrade back on top of the

original Win XP H.E. installation, or should I just extract my files, then

nuke(re-install the H.E, followed by XP Pro) the system?? I would like to

repair the system. Thank you for your time and patience. - gustav521

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
Can you boot the system? If not boot off of the XP CD and get to the Recovery Console and type chkdsk /R and hit enter. the Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors. If you can boot your computer, run this program BSOD_XP_v1.3_jcgriff2_PROD.exe. When it is done go to My Documents and zip up the file TSF_XP_SUPPORT and attach it in your next post.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello "spunk.funk", thank you for your quick response! I tried to boot off the XP Pro cd, and am staring at the "examining 114471 MB...." screen. It has been examining for 2 hours now, and nothing else appears! What can I do next ?? Thank you again! - gustav521

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello "spunk.funk": is there some way to get off this "examining 114471 MB...." screen without a "hard" shutdown? These "hard" shutdowns must be shortening my HDD life, and corrupting files, I would think! Thank you! - gustav521

·
Global Moderator
43,131 Posts
Boot into the Setup (Bios) at bootup, change the Boot Order to be CD rom drive 1st Boot Device and save the setting.
It sounds like your HDD has failed. Download the ISO image for Sea Tools for DOS and burn this image to a CD using IMGBurn, boot off of the newly created CD and run the HDD Diagnostic tests.
If your computer is not moving and is stuck. Hold in the Power Button until the computer shuts down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi "spunk.funk": this 120gb HDD is the original found in the Matrix 6100

desktop purchased in 2002! I am lifting out my files out as I write. Maybe

too many "press the button" shutdowns has killed it. I did try putting in

the Win XP H.E. cd at first, but the only option it gave me was to restore

the system. The message said the HDD would be formatted and all files

lost. I decided against that. So after pulling out my files I will install that

Win XP H.E CD and procide with a full restore, followed by the Win XP Pro

Upgrade CD. Thank you for your help. I'll come back with news of the

restore IF the HDD is working, otherwise I will replace it. BTW, sorry to

be so winded! - gustav521

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello "spunk.funk": reinstalled Win XP H.E., followed by Win XP Pro Upgrade

without any problems. Now though, I cannot connect the PC to the Linksys

BEFSR41 router. My Linux box is connected to it without a problem. Charter

Communications says that the DOCSIS 3.0 modem is running good, and the

connection to the router is good too. I want to activate Windows, but want to

resolve this issue first. Can you help me with this other problem?? Thank

you. -gustav521

·
Global Moderator
43,131 Posts
Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. In the Device Manager any device with a yellow mark requires a driver. What is the make and model of your computer? Go to the Manufacturers Support site, type in your make and model # and it will take you to the Download Drivers page for your computer model. Download the Network Adapter onto a Flash Drive and install it on said computer. Once you have internet return to that site and download the rest of the drivers directly to that computer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello again "spunk.funk". I have been going in circles for 24 hours now! Thank you for your help again! I found the Ethernet Controller driver for this mobo ( Intel D845EBT ) on the Intel site, and dl'd and installed it. It worked for 10 minutes, enough time to dl Avast, and try to dl SP2-3, and all the other Updates. But then the connection ceased!. I also did devmgmt.msc and hit enter. It shows a yellow mark next to these 4 items: Ethernet Controller-Multimedia Audio Controller-Raid Controller-SM Bus Controller. BTW, I also did chkdsk /R, but I don't see the results of the checking. Where is there a file showing the details of the results?? I restored XP H.E. way back in 2005, I think. That op sys came with 2 CDs. The 2nd one had the drivers. I have both CDs, plus the XP Pro Upgrade CD. How can I load the drivers that are on the H.E. 2nd CD?? Back in 2005, I had no trouble with these 4 drivers now missing, after doing a System Restore! If you can give me some help in installing that driver CD via "run", I guess, that help greatly. Thank you for your patience! -gustav521

·
Global Moderator
43,131 Posts
If you have the CD #2 after running disc 1 put it in when prompted.
You could also just install the upgrade CD and see if it updates the drivers, If you can get Ethernet to work, Windows Update might have the drivers, also What Is this make and model of the computer? is it is a name brand (HP, Dell, Gateway)? If so, you can go to the manufacturers support web site and type in your make and model and it will take you to the Download Drivers page for that specific computer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello "spunk.funk": :pray:EUREKA!, I'm connected to the web! How it happened is thus: I found an old Belarc report on the Matrix FT 6100 in a folder. There it told me the name of the installed Intel Netw. Connection driver. Then I did as you said, looked it up thru Google, dl'd it and installed it. I am now loading up all the M/S Updates. All is going smoothly as I type - finally!

Before I rec'd your answer, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 in place of the entire Win installation. I wanted to see if Lucid would find the driver for me. It did and I was able to connect immediately after Ubuntu installed. But I took the choice of having a dual boot system, which I took. So now at startup, I am given a choice between the two.

Thank you for your help and patience!! I guess I will have to hunt down the remaining 3 drivers in a similar fashion. I hope I will be able to call on you for help in that regard too. I'll put all 4 in a folder for the next time. I wonder "spunk.funk" if you know how Ubuntu works too? I need help understanding the very basics of CLI use; what terms mean in real English, lol!

Thanks for your help! Hope to be able to speak with you again! Sincerely, gustav521:wave:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.