Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty good with computers, and I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Whoever gives me a solution will be given another 200 bonus points on top of the 500 to be awarded. I'm that frustrated with this!

Here's the deal: Registry_Error BSOD

My computer crashed, and I couldn't recover anything. I dropped in a new primary HD and installed a fresh copy of Windows XP, leaving the crashed copy of Windows XP on my D:. However, I need to get back into the previous windows installation to open some files / databases / and be able to export my Outlook account information and e-mails... amongst other things.

When I disable my primary master (c:) so I can work on the crashed Windows XP, this is what I'm faced with:

Registry_Error BSOD shows up in all modes (including safe mode).

Recovery console: When it asks which Windows installation I want to login to, and I chose C:\WINNT ....... the BSOD pops up, same Registry_Error.

Windows repair: Right after accepting the Terms of Service (F8) it begins scanning hard drives for previous installations of Windows... same BSOD.

Hardware Conflict? I have tried moving the hard drive into another computer. No luck. BSOD happens at all the same spots.

Fix Registry? I have searched for registry fixers / cleaners, however they all only scan/fix the registry of the current session you're using. They don't fix registries for Windows installs on other hard drives.

Now what do I do?

+++ath0
NO CARRIER

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi

Have you tried copying the data off the D; while it is attached as a slave to your working drive?

What programs do you need to open to retrieve the data?

If you REALLY need to open up files backup your registry and copy it over the registry of the non working drive. boot up from that drive and it should boot (although you will get errors) and allow you to backup your data

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF

The Registry received an I/O error while attempting to read one of its files as a result of a hardware problem or file system corruption. When the crashed XP h.d.d. is set to slave, can you access it or does it crash?
How are you disabling the master so you can work on the crashed h.d.d?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.