Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am composing this within the wonderful browser that my ASUS P5Q Deluxe allows me to run without loading the OS. Otherwise I would not be able to even ask my question. Here is what has happened to me.

I came home from work and tried to wake up my computer by hitting the space bar. As has been happening more and more frequently, it did not wake up. I hit the reset and the computer slowly rebooted. Just after Win7 loaded up I got a BSOD the little bit that I could read before the screen went blank was something like "ACP-Index mismatch". I've been trying unsuccessfully ever since to get back into Windows. I've tried doing a recovery a couple times, which immediately sent me to another BSOD. I've gotten into safe mode a couple times but after a click or two more BSOD.

I have not changed any configurations, added any new hardware, or loaded any new software. I'd be glad to post whatever info you guys need, but since I cannot get into the system, you'll have to tell me how I might go about getting that info.

What I know off the top of my head is:

ASUS P5Q Deluxe MB
8 MB Corsair memory
GTX 285
Corsair 1000w PSU
Intel Duo quad core

Oh, I just remembered, I thought I could use my Win7 disk as a recovery disk. I change the boot priority in the BIOS so that it would boot from the DVD drive, but it's not doing it for some reason.

I am quite desperate, PLEASE HELP!! :eek::eek::eek::4-dontkno:4-dontkno:4-dontkno

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I finally was able to do a restore from a backup I made last week. I was still getting BSODs, but then I decided to see what would happen if I unplugged my USB HDD (to which I back up). Sure enough I was able to get back into Win7, and so far, no more BSODs. I'm attaching the TSF Vista Support file and the perfmon.html file. If someone could take a look and let me know if the problem in fact was my usb drive or something else. And if it is my USB drive (Buffalo) is it just a bad drive that I have to trash or is there something I can do about it.

Thank you very much for the help.

Attachments

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Visiting Expert | Microsoft Sup
4,026 Posts
Glad you've gotten it running! I see a few problems here:
Code:
fffff880`040c8000 fffff880`040d0000   ASACPI   ASACPI.sys   Mon Oct 30 22:09:12 2006 (4546B048)
fffff880`01b45000 fffff880`01b80000   snapman  snapman.sys  Thu Nov 22 03:19:33 2007 (47453B95)
fffff880`01aa9000 fffff880`01b3d000   tdrpman  tdrpman.sys  Mon Nov 12 08:36:33 2007 (473856E1)
fffff880`03ca4000 fffff880`03cbb000   tifsfilt tifsfilt.sys Wed Aug 29 08:37:29 2007 (46D56889)
fffff880`01400000 fffff880`014b0000   timntr   timntr.sys   Wed Aug 29 08:38:23 2007 (46D568BF)
That's the loathsome ASACPI.sys that was giving many people problems a couple of months ago. Take note of the date: 08/2006. ASACPI.SYS is a motherboard driver from ASUS. This could be interfering with the way that your system is using the external hard drive. The rest of those drivers are all Acronis - used in Acronis TrueImage Suite. It too could be effecting the way that your system is looking at your external drive.

And this, from your system event log:
Code:
Event[892]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: Disk
  Date: 2009-11-26T00:20:05.876
  Event ID: 11
  Task: N/A
  Level: Error
  Opcode: N/A
  Keyword: Classic
  User: N/A
  User Name: N/A
  Computer: Kelber-PC
  Description: 
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2
It calls a controller error. Controllers are located on the motherboard...ASACPI.SYS is my first thought.

First, remove any ASUS software you have on your computer (AISuite, etc.). If you don't have the software, navigate to C:\Windows\system32 and locate ASACPI.SYS; rename it to ASACPI.BAK. Restart the computer and see how it goes with the external drive plugged in. If that's no help, remove all Acronis software and try the same.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! Unfortunately, even with the external drive unplugged, my system has plunged back into repeated BSODs, including when I go into safe mode and when it I do the system repair. If I cannot get into Windows, is there a way for me to remove these programs from a command prompt?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Visiting Expert | Microsoft Sup
4,026 Posts
Well, then things get icky... But in order to even get dirty, you need to be able to boot from the CD drive into your Vista installation CD. If you can't boot from the CD drive, it would appear to be a problem with the motherboard itself.

If you're still willing to try, you can follow the instructions here to make a bootable DOS flash drive: http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

Once you boot into DOS, run the command XCOPY C:\Windows\System32\ASACPI.SYS C:\, then del C:\Windows\System32\ASACPI.SYS. Try to boot into Windows after that.

Good luck...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.