Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time on these boards, hopefully someone here can help me out.

First things first:
· OS - Vista/ Windows 7 WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM SP1 · x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? 64 · What was original installed OS on system? This one · Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) · Age of system (hardware) Bought it last June 2011 from newegg - came assembled · Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? No · CPU AMD Phenom II x4 925 2.8GHZ · Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB DDR5 (v2) · MotherBoard - GA - M68MT-S2 (v1.3) · Power Supply - brand & wattage Antec High Current 620W
I recently upgraded my PSU and GPU over christmas break. Went fairly smooth, except for a few hiccups that a first-time pc builder would experience. We can touch on that later, if its pertinent

In the past few days I've experienced 3 BSODs. Never saw them with my earlier hardware. Each one had the Memory Malfunction warning.

These three occured while playing games (Skyrim and Bioshock).

I followed the posting guide so I hope I'm not missing anything. If so, let me know.

Final note: I'm very new to this "in-depth" of troubleshooting and have no experience in computer programming or anything, so please talk to me like an idiot if need be :)

Attachments

·
TSF - Enthusiast
3,172 Posts
Welcome to TSF

There are no mini dump files

so
Click on Start > Right Click on COmputer > Properties > Left hand side Click on Advance system settings > Click on the Advanced tab > On the bottom you will see "Start up and revcovery > Click on Settings in that section > Change the "Write debugging information to "Small memory dump" Also uncheck "Automatically Restart"

Once that is done
I want you to download and run "Driver sweeper" Uninstall the Currently installed Video Drivers
Reboot
Download and Install latest drivers from Nvidia's website for your Graphics card
Run driver verifier for atleast 36 hours to see if there are any other BSODS follow the instructions you have already before posting and post the mini dump files

What is the return policy for your power supply? If its still returnable, i would return and get either XFX, Corsair, or Seasonics power supply 80+ 650w+ ( I would get a 750w 80+)
antec makes the worst power supplies now a days (used to be good long time ago)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to TSF

There are no mini dump files

so
Click on Start > Right Click on COmputer > Properties > Left hand side Click on Advance system settings > Click on the Advanced tab > On the bottom you will see "Start up and revcovery > Click on Settings in that section > Change the "Write debugging information to "Small memory dump" Also uncheck "Automatically Restart"
DONE

Once that is done
I want you to download and run "Driver sweeper" Uninstall the Currently installed Video Drivers
Reboot
Download and Install latest drivers from Nvidia's website for your Graphics card
1. Should I uninstall through windows first? (best way?) or should just use Driver Sweeper?
1a. In driver sweeper - do i just check NVIDIA-Display and analyze/clean?
1b. Do I need to also check NVIDIA - PhysX as well?
1c. Anything else i need to look for in Driver Sweeper?

Run driver verifier for atleast 36 hours to see if there are any other BSODS follow the instructions you have already before posting and post the mini dump files
36 hours seems like a long time. Also, I'm not familiar with Driver Verifyer. I'll see what i can do

What is the return policy for your power supply? If its still returnable, i would return and get either XFX, Corsair, or Seasonics power supply 80+ 650w+ ( I would get a 750w 80+)
antec makes the worst power supplies now a days (used to be good long time ago)
I may be under the 30-day return policy. I got it at Microcenter and they are pretty good if you want to do an honest uprgade

·
TSF - Enthusiast
3,172 Posts
As for the drivers Yes, only the Nvidia and yes PhysX as well
The reason through driver sweep rather then windows is driver sweepers makes sure it deletes all traces of the driver off the system

36 hours is that you just keep the system on for that long and if there are more one issue you will see them under 36 hours because driver verifier just pushes the drivers installed on the system to the limit and therefore creates BSOD
If we don't run driver verifer we might not get multiple BSOds which can be related to different issues so we might fix one issue but not the other (did that make sense) because sometimes your BSODs will occur after a week or maybe 2 weeks

·
Registered
11 Posts
-Drivers have been uninstalled via Driver Sweeper
-Upon reboot, drivers were reinstalled via the NVIDIA website - strangely enough the graphics card drivers for my gpu were still beta and none were certified yet. I DL'd the latest version 290.53...

I will go ahead give give Driver Veryfier a go and report back.

Side note*** The BSOD did say something about Memory Managment. i think i forgot to say that earlier. Are we on the right track?

Thanks again for your patience

Well, i ran Driver Verifier and I got a BSOD within minutes. After restarting a few times and a few more BSOD (i was unable to stop verifier in time before it crashed) i restored to my save point right beofre i turned verifier on. Now i can't seems to find any files.

c:/windows/minidump is empty and has a locked folder icon for some reason

tried it again - here's what i got. I'm all new to this stuff.

Hoping someone can take a look at my mindump files. Kind of eager to get to the bottom of this issue.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I assume you mean driver verifier, and it's been running smooth for a couple hours now.

If something happens I'll post it, thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ran driver verifier for over 24 hours and no BSOD.
I aslo reseated my RAM and blew out dust and dog/cat hair

So far no BSOD since my posts.

If one does occur, I'll rebump this thread in the future. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.