Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I recently began to upgrade a computer I bought last summer (june 2011) from newegg. It clearly was a "spare parts thrown together" type of deal as I'm finding out the hardware is kind of outdated and pretty mediocre. All in all, i paid for what i got.

Here's my specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom IIx4 925 2.8GHz
**GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (v2) 1GB DDR5
**PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 620W
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 ver 1.3 ________specs:(GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3 - GA-M68MT-S2 (rev. 1.3))
**RAM - 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3

** these are the three parts i've upgraded over the past few months

Now, the first part i upgraded was the RAM , back in OCT. It was a simple upgrade from 2x2GB to 2x4GB. No issues were seen after swap. Worked like a charm.

Then, during christmas break, I purchased a video card. (NOT the one I have now, but an Raedon HD 6770) after installing this and plenty of crashes later, i realized i needed to upgrade my PSU to support the demand this GPU has. So i went and bought the current PSU i have now.) After installing the new PSU, my computer worked fine for a few hours then crashed. This is when i went back to the store, returned my HD 6770, and bought the current GPU i have now (the GTX460).

This worked great for the time being, until I got the bright idea to overclock my memory. (I admit, i didn't do all my research necessary).

So I went into my BIOS and thru the M.I.T Intelligent tweaker, I upped the DRAM manually from 1333 to 1600. I figured my sticks can handle it since they are labeled as 1600. ALso, looking at my motherboard memory support list, these sticks were listed.

A few days later, while playing skyrim, i got a BSOD. A couple days later after that i had a couple more BSOD. Each one said Memory Management

Few things:

When looking deeper at my mobo memory spec, i see this:
  1. 2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8GB of system memory (Note 1)
  2. Dual channel memory architecture
  3. Support for DDR3 1333+/1066/800 MHz memory modules
Now, does (3.) indicate that my mobo can't handle 1600?
Also, (1.) indicates a max voltage at 1.5 in both slots. But when looking at my CPU-Z in the SPD tab, the XMP setting at 1600 requires 1.65 volts.
Is this the primary issue that could be cause a BSOD?

I've ran the Windows memory test during boot-up and no errors have appeared. (ive ran it a few times and everytime no errors). I plan on running MEMTEST but don't feel the need to at this time.

As of this morning i turned the setting back to 1333 in the BIOS, so lets hope there's no more crashes.

Suggestions? Input? comments? Verbal Lashings?

I'll take what i can get. Thanks in advance!

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Set the Bios to default and see how it goes. If any changes are required make ONE change at a time.
You could also try your old RAM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the prompt reply!

Would you mind answering the few questions in my post? It'll put my mind at ease :)

When looking deeper at my mobo memory spec, i see this:
  1. 2 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 8GB of system memory (Note 1)
  2. Dual channel memory architecture
  3. Support for DDR3 1333+/1066/800 MHz memory modules
Now, does (3.) indicate that my mobo can't handle 1600?
Also, (1.) indicates a max voltage at 1.5 in both slots. But when looking at my CPU-Z in the SPD tab, the XMP setting at 1600 requires 1.65 volts.
Is this the primary issue that could be cause a BSOD?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No BSOD since changing it back to x6.66 (1333 MHz). I ran a few 3D vantage tests and played skyrim for a good while too.

I would really appreciate if someone could answer the questions in my previous post or point me to where i could them.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The Mobo manufacturer offers the Memory Standard list as a guideline.
Many Mobo's will run 1600MHz at 1333MHZ with no issues.
You could lower the Voltage to 1.5V and see if that helps.
My best guess is the Kingston RAM is the main issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Mobo manufacturer offers the Memory Standard list as a guideline.
Many Mobo's will run 1600MHz at 1333MHZ with no issues.
You could lower the Voltage to 1.5V and see if that helps.
My best guess is the Kingston RAM is the main issue.
Which voltage am I lowering? And how would i go about that?

Sorry if that sounds like an amatuer question but I'm really just learning about all this.

Thanks

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
ddr 3 ram generally runs at 1.5v and nothing higher. You set this in the BIOS on most motherboard BIOS it is under a bit called DRAM Voltage.

if your mobo doesn't specify 1600Mhz then it will not run ram at 1600MHz however it may take ram that is 1600MHz and default it to 1333MHz

Also note that it says 1333MHz+ which could mean that in order to run a faster type of ram then it requires you to manual set the speed in the BIOS. This is done by going into the BIOS to the speed i.e 1333 pressing enter on that speed then selecting the next available one which should be 1600.
Kingston ram aint the best so it could be faulty.

PS the kingston ram manual or on the sticks itself will say what its voltage should be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
ddr 3 ram generally runs at 1.5v and nothing higher. You set this in the BIOS on most motherboard BIOS it is under a bit called DRAM Voltage.

if your mobo doesn't specify 1600Mhz then it will not run ram at 1600MHz however it may take ram that is 1600MHz and default it to 1333MHz

Also note that it says 1333MHz+ which could mean that in order to run a faster type of ram then it requires you to manual set the speed in the BIOS. This is done by going into the BIOS to the speed i.e 1333 pressing enter on that speed then selecting the next available one which should be 1600.
Kingston ram aint the best so it could be faulty.

PS the kingston ram manual or on the sticks itself will say what its voltage should be.
I know how to change the memory clock as that's what i did in the first place, which is why i beleive I got the few BSODs. So right now its back at the default x6.66 ( or 1333 MHz)

The BIOS also allows me to change the DRAM voltage in .1v increments. Since my mobo spec says 1.5, i assume thats the normal voltage. So my options are to to change it +.1v @ 1.6v and .2v @ 1.7v. Anything above a .2v change is written in red font and is flashing as a warning. (although it is possible to bring it up a total of .7vs)

In your opinon, which combo should I adjust the Memory Clock and voltage to? [email protected] (default); x8 @ 1.6v; x8 or 1.7v; ???

Is it possible the three BSODs that stated memory management as the cause were brought about by me change the clock speed and not the voltage?

Thanks

PS - RAM sticks say 1.65v all over them :)

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
then put the voltage at 1.65 leave the ram at default clock. If your overclocking the system anyway the ram speed will change in accordance with the setting you put for the cpu since they are linked.

The aim with overclocking is to increase the cpu speed and keep the ram within its rated speed. This gives the best performance.

do not touch the BCLK settings as there is no need and this can cause problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.