Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to boot my computer, I get the BSOD with the following message:

Stop: c000021a{fatal system error} the windows logon process system terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000033 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down

I am trying to recover some important documents that are saved in Shared Documents and My Documents folders. I understand if I reinstall Windows, I will probably lose these files. This is an OEM XP Home install.

I have Googled the error message and found no help there. These are the steps I've taken so far:

1. tried to restart in safe mode and tried restart with last known good configuration
2. created a Windows XP bootable disk
3. booted from the XP CD but there was no option to repair the XP install
4. booted from XP CD and used the Recovery Console to execute a chkdsk /r

I am an intermediate-level user and do not know how to use all the commands of the recovery console. I would appreciate any assistance in recovering my files.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you can get into safe mode, try safe mode with networking then hook that computer up to another one ( friends or wahtever ) with a lan cable. Then just save all of your files onto his computer for the time being and re-install windows if that doesnt work you can try fixing the MBR ( master boot record ) but thats sketchy an can cause problems if done incorrectly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The computer will not boot into safemode at all. I get the same blue screen message.

How do I rebuild the MBR? I'm not familiar with this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
its from inside the recovery console ( use your XP disk to get there, its an option on the page with install windows ) once it brings up the recovery console just type fix MBR ( that might not be right just type in help an look for MBR, you can also try fdsk an chkdsk ) that may or may not work cause I think its only worked once for me :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FIXMBR yielded the following message:

This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record.

FIXMBR may damage your partition tables if you proceed.

This could cause all the partitions on the current hard disk to become inaccessible.

If you are not having problems accessing your drive, do not continue.

Are you sure you want to write a new MBR?

This seems to have a tone to finality to it. I don't want to take this step unless you're absolutely sure it's going to work. Will the computer write its own new master boot record?

·
Registered
20 Posts
yes it will write its own new MBR but no im not sure it will fix the problem although you wont lose any files writing a new MBR it will just fix the boot record that stands now ( I've used the command numerous times an never have lost data, but I dont wanna be the cause of you losing all your files )

·
UK
1,128 Posts
You could try putting the drive into another machine as 'slave' (you will need to re-jumper the drives) and this may enable you to transfer the data over.

Peter

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I forgot to mention it's a laptop (Dell Inspiron 8200). Can I remove the HDD and connect it to my desktop as a slave?

·
UK
1,128 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Peter. I was hoping there was a way to at least get to DOS or to fix the problem with XP, but it looks like I will have to try your approach. I appreciate your recommendation.

Rich

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.