Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help with resolving my BSOD issue would greatly be appreciated. I followed all the directions for uploading the attached file and below are all the details requested. Thanks in advance. Mike

· OS - Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2
· x86 (32-bit)
· Vista Home Premium
· OS is OEM version (came pre-installed on system)
· 12/19/2007 (Age of Hardware)
· Age of OS installation - OS was re-installed on 12/29/2009

· CPU - AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile TL58
· Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M
· MotherBoard - HP
· Power Supply - HP & 65W AC Adapter

· HP
· Exact model number (laptop, HP Pavilion dv9500)
· Exact product name (laptop, HP Pavilion dv9626us)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I assume this is happening during power down (like sleep or hibernate) or recovering from it? Either way, it appears sptd.sys is causing this. It is not properly unloading itself, which usually happens during a power down. This driver is responsible for supplying the advanced virtual drives for Daemon Tools, and it has been known to commonly cause bugs. While usually one would recommend you remove it, I do notice that this one is very, very old (Jun 2006). You'll most certainly want to update Daemon Tools as well as the the accompanying SPTD driver. If it still is causing you woes, you're going to have to write it off as a buggy driver and forgo using SPTD. Note that Daemon Tools only needs SPTD for advanced security emulation like SecuROM. It does not need it for normal drive emulation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct. This is only happening during power downs and when trying to put my laptop to sleep, which sleep mode does not work at all anymore. I would greatly appreciate a step by step solution if you have one, since I do not know much about Daemon Tools. I just keep my laptop running mostly 24/7 and hit the power button at night, when I go to bed, just to put it to sleep and now this issue has arrived.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
You'll want to first uninstall Daemon Tools using the appropriate uninstaller that came with it. Then go into /Windows/System32/Drivers/ and delete sptd.sys. Then download the latest version of Daemon Tools and install it completely. Again, you can either choose to install it with SPTD or without.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cannot locate Daemon Tools anywhere on this computer, would it be called something different or is there a manual way of removing it other then through Programs and features?. I do have a file called sptd.sys in the windows/system32/drivers directory along with a sptd4333.sys file. I do not know what installed these drivers or if I need either of them.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Maybe something else uses these. They are nothing other than virtual drive drivers, so if you never see yourself needing to use a virtual drive, you can remove em.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.