Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help - when I start the computer I eventually get a blue screen that says 'STOP: c00000135 {unable to Locate Component}
This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Here is the history of the situation: I was suddenly unable to delete an email in Outlook Express - the program would just lock up. I updated and ran my Norton Antivirus - it ran for a while then gave me a dialog stating that some windows system files had been replaced by unrecognized versions, and to insert my Windows XP Pro disc to re-install them. I did that and the computer started, but did a disc accuracy check and showed that two files were deleted, a .dll that I don't remember and pinball.inf. I was finally able to get to the desktop, and I attempted to run online virus scans from several locations (trend micro, computer associates, symantec) all unsuccessfully. I finally completed a scan at McAfee, no virus found. I decided to restart in safe mode to run my Norton again and that is when I got the above message. I tried to re-start using the last good configuration and got the same message. I cannot start the computer in any way without getting the above message.

Can you walk me through this so I don't lose my data? If I can get to the desktop then I can send you an HJT log.

Thank you so much - :heartlove

kermit2

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the repy but since I cannot get Windows to launch in any way, cannot get to the desktop - I cannot download anything or edit the registry. Simpy put...the computer will not start up - just displays the message I gave you earlier - now what? TIA

Kermit2 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
you might have to slave the corrupted drive to a another master, either with another computer ...or reload windows on your computer with a different smaller drive, they are relativley cheap.

if you could reach bios, tap delete on first start up, change the boot options to rom first, and see if you can boot off your windows disk.

reconsider loading norton again, there are other options...avg...ect.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you - I will try booting from the Windows disc and doing a reload - I will get back to you on that. Many thanks

kermit2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.