Tech Support banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I need some help to try and figure out what is wrong with my computer setup. I am A+ certified and am a technician so don't be afraid to get technical.

It all started on June 4th when I got a BSOD out of the blue. It is DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with code 0x0d1. The faulting driver was aswKbd.sys a component of Avast. I have had no blue screens since. I have attached the minidump.

After the BSOD:
1. my computer takes 2-3 times longer to resume from sleep
2. occasionally videos will skip for a split second during playback
3. after a week or so of use with entering standby 3-4 times a day when the computer is not in use, swapping from the page file to load progs not in memory takes a couple seconds (not sure how much this deviates from the original setup but sometimes I could swear it's different) and also quitting Chrome with 30-40 tabs open takes literally 3-4 minutes. After a restart everything is wonderfully responsive.

Things I have done to diagnose:
1. uninstalled Avast and used the remover utility in safe mode
2. ran a FRST scan for viruses and everything looked clean
3. ran 2 quick scans, a full scan, and two mobo scans with PC Doctor Toolbox and everything passed. Keep in mind this was not an exhaustive memory diagnostic as it only ran for 5 minutes or so for the memory.

Can anybody advise as to what might be causing my symptoms? Are there troubleshooting steps we can take? I also tried resuming from standby off live cds to determine if the slow resume time was caused by the OS install however Win7 & 10 PE couldn't do standby and Live Ubuntu freaked out hardcore when I tried to resume from standby (some sort of glitch). Is there some division at M$ devoted to artificially aging your Windows install? I wouldn't be surprised...

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,376 Posts
Hi. . .

Please run the instructions per @Deejay100six.

Your lone BSOD was caused by an Avast KB filter driver -
Code:
[font=lucida console]aswKbd.sys   Tue Apr 28 14:46:59 2020 (5EA87A23)
[/font]
Remove Avast using the removal tool (if available) - https://support.eset.com/en/kb146-uninstallers-removal-tools-for-common-windows-antivirus-software#a

Reboot system to remove kernel mode and boot drivers.

Reinstall Avast - https://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download#pc

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi I have attached the Sysnative BSOD Collection zip. Please let me know if you'd like it to be in the BSOD forum. Also I want to add two things to the first post:

I tried sfc /scannow and DISM which reported corruption but it looked like a false positive after looking at the log.

I would like to clarify that programs definitely take longer to quit after a half week or so of sleeping 3-4 times a day. Sometimes they stall for 4-5 seconds.

I am looking to get help determining if we have a hardware problem or software. Don't want to reinstall Windows if it's some nasty hardware thingy.

Also I'm not going to return to Avast I had many complaints about it.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes IIRC it improved significantly but still is abnormally slow closing programs after a half week or week.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@DeeJay please read my first and second posts for more background
@Wrench97 I am currently using Windows Security with Win10

Also I forgot these guys:

· OS - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 or Vista?
Win10
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ?
64 bit
· What was the original installed OS on the system?
win10 pro
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?
full retail
· Approximate age of system (hardware)
8 years
· Approximate age of OS installation (if you know)
Probably 1.5 years
· Have you re-installed the OS?
Nope
· CPU
i5-3470
· Video Card
GTX 970
· MotherBoard (if NOT a laptop)
P8Z68-V/GEN3
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (if NOT a laptop)
Antec TP-550
· System Manufacturer
Home built
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom)
Home built
Laptop or Desktop?
desktop

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So my main question about this whole rigmarole is whether it sounds software or hardware. I might have to do an OS reinstall if it's software as I'm running out of other options.

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,089 Posts
Nothing is really standing out to me as an issue from the logs I looked at.
All programs slow to close is not a real common issue Word had an issue for awhile if the default printer was not available when Word was shut down it would hang trying locate it,
I've seen some strangeness after Windows.old has been deleted after a upgrade because some programs where still using folders in the .old directories.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Wrench97. Nothing is nasty enough to warrant an immediate OS reinstall. I might hold off until the next Win10 update rolls out and try that first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts