Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lenovo laptop (V330) - https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/len...nch-windows-10-home-la-81ax011muk/version.asp (full details of the laptop which I bought in March 2019.

The current version is Windows 10 Version 21H2 (OS build 19044.1645)

Unfortunately I have not created a System Repair Disc or System Images.

A few days ago, there was an automatic Windows update when I shut down my laptop. Since then I have been having issues with BSOD which started infrequently (every few hours) to then as soon as the laptop was restarted and now its proving difficult to turn on without it being stuck on a black screen after trying to boot or freezing immediately.

First BSOD error message:
Stop Code: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
What failed: atikmdag.sys

Second BSOD error message:
Stop Code: PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED_AREA
What failed: Ntfs.sys

After seeing the first atikmag.sys error message, I tried to uninstall the Radeon driver and then install the latest one from the AMD website. I also tried to roll back the last windows update but my laptop wasn't able to and only was able to rollback the last quality update. Unfortunately since then the errors have only gotten worse so I'm not sure what to try next hence the request for help!

I tried to turn on the laptop before posting this thread and it turned on but then froze within a couple of minutes. Looks like all my personal files seem to have disappeared but I'm hoping that is just because it didn't log into my user account.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,455 Posts
This seems to have been happening with units that were originally upgraded from Windows 7. Try an in place Windows install ASAP (copying files first if possible). If no good, then a new installation will be necessary and I hope you now realize while at least a file backup, and hopefully a System Image isn't just an idea, but a necessity.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This seems to have been happening with units that were originally upgraded from Windows 7. Try an in place Windows install ASAP (copying files first if possible). If no good, then a new installation will be necessary and I hope you now realize while at least a file backup, and hopefully a System Image isn't just an idea, but a necessity.
In the past I used to save a back-up on an external hard drive but unfortunately it got put into storage by accident so I don't have access for now.

Is it possible to do an in place Windows install via safe mode?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
31,455 Posts
Sorry to say an in place install can't work in safe mode since it's a Windows function.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
10,554 Posts

·
31,455 Posts
Don't worry. When these tyre of problems exist, the message keeps changing. Just try the re-install.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't worry. When these tyre of problems exist, the message keeps changing. Just try the re-install.
I managed to save my data to an external hard drive, so I didn't do the in place install. Instead did a full wipe and new installation.

Unfortunately still had a freeze and BSOD:

STOP CODE: VIDEO TDR FAILURE
What failed: amdkmdg.sys

Is it time to give up on this laptop?

·
31,455 Posts
When BSODs occur after Windows reinstall they're hardware related. Yours appears to be a need for a GPU driver (not positive). Check with AMD for a driver.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I managed to save my data to an external hard drive, so I didn't do the in place install. Instead did a full wipe and new installation.

Unfortunately still had a freeze and BSOD:

STOP CODE: VIDEO TDR FAILURE
What failed: amdkmdg.sys

Is it time to give up on this laptop?
I haven't seen that failure in years. In my experience, buggy ATI drivers. But one way that MAY help is to change User Account Control to one step above Never notify. When you install something and it dims out your screen to get your attention, that could kick off the TDR error. Not the only thing that could, but for me it was the most common. Of course, it's part of why I try to avoid ATI anything if I can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts