Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having numerous BSOD per day for the last couple of months. It doesnt seem to be linked to anything in particular and happens at complete random. When it crashes it get one error code 0x000000d1 but on three different drivers. Atapi.sys, usbport.sys and i8042prt.sys.

I have hunted around the internet for the last month trying to find a fix and I have tried just about everything.

I have turned my VGA card acceleration off.
Reduced page file size.
I tried running system file checker (sfc) and got 99% before it BSOD again.
I ran memtest for around 3 hours and nothing came up
I have clean installed on another HDD which I used to run and I know its reliable and has no bad sectors.
I have done a repair install

Specs are:

Soltek SL-75FRN MoBo
AMD Athlon 2600
30gb Samsung HDD
Ati Raedon 9600 Pro VGA card (recently updated as the old one kept crashing the system)
Win XP Pro

I have been trying to view my minidump files but I keep running into problems so I will just post the last 5 from yesterday for anyone to look at if they have any idea what this maybe.

View attachment Minidump.rar

Please help!

Gareth

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi Gareth

Might as well put your page file back to normal, it's possible you've set it too high or too low. Try it for a bit with XP managing it - you'll have to turn it completely off, then reboot, then adjust it to "system-managed":

1) Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2) Click the Advanced tab.
3) Under Performance, click Settings.
4) Click the Advanced tab.
5) Under Virtual Memory, click Change.
6) Click No paging file. Click OK, click OK, and then click OK.
7) Restart your computer.
8) Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
9) Click the Advanced tab.
10) Under Performance, click Settings.
11) Click the Advanced tab.
12) Under Virtual Memory, click Change.
13) Click System managed sized. Click OK, click OK, and then click OK.
14) Restart your computer.

Should this not work, try setting your Bios Setup settings to default for troubleshooting purposes. Then when you have time, grab a manual for the board & go through the settings one at a time.

If none of that helps, try locating drivers for your motherboard & reinstall them.

I don't expect the video card to be involved in these errors.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hoped it would be the VGA card since its almost brand new!

I did a repair install of XP and it seems to of actually settled it down a bit. I am still getting BSOD tho.

I imagine when I did that repair the page file settings were probably returned to defaults.

BIOS is set to defaults as it is anyway.

Board drivers were reinstalled when I formatted and clean installed. I reinstalled cos it was BSODing and since it is such an old board the drivers are no longer supported.

We will see how we go from here.
Thanks for the advice

Gareth

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hmm ... I would expect something off on the motherboard level, since the errors are all ports on the motherboard - the IDE, USB, and PS/2 ports. I suppose if the video card is somehow incompatible (but not a Lot incompatible, of course - or it wouldn't work at all) in the area of power usage/voltage requirements - that might cause trouble. Perhaps try a different power supply, if you've got a suitable extra lying around (or can borrow one).

One not-so-wonderful possibility is that whatever killed your previous video card also damaged the motherboard (power surges have a bad habit of killing things that way).

I wish I knew what's up with Soltek. I saw some threads that mentioned they left the US market in 2004. Their http://www.soltek.com.tw website was loading horribly slowly when I visited it yesterday, and they didn't list your motherboard (though they did list a few variants - the SL-75FRN-L, SL-75FRN2, & SL-75FRN3).

Hope it works out
. . . Gary

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Just wanted to make sure.. do you have all SP2 and all the subsequent updates installed (about 80) ?

You'll need them as they contain many such fixes.

If that doesn't work run a driver test with more accuracy.

*Close all applications.
*Start>Run> type: verifier.exe and hit Enter
*Run this Driver Verifier utility for XP which has options shown as HERE
*Create Standard Settings>and choose "Automatically select all drivers installed on this computer"
*Proceed and see what it lists.
*If there's something wrong with a driver causing BSoD's, it'll usually give you another BSoD with the driver name included: i.e. xxxxxx.sys
*Make a note of that.

See how that goes. Your BSoD's seem hardware or OS related, only.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.