Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently i've been getting a BSOD randomly, it has the stop message 0x0000008e, I usually get it when i log into my acount in windows. I'm running xp home sp2, i've tested my ram with memtest (allnight) and no errors were found, i also check both of my hdd with the utilitys form their makers and they found no errors. I then reinstalled XP and installed the latest drivers for everything and i still get the error (although it seems less).

anyone have any ideas?

i was thinking psu but not sure...

Xp sp2
athlon 2000+
512mb PC2100
radeon 9800 pro
LG DVD-RAM

-thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
power supply's don't generally cause these types of errors but something els you said does

AMD
i've found alot of cheaper AMD boards have very bad capacitor's
the capacitors are the round cylinder looking things on your mother board with x's or k's etched into the top. capacitors are responsible for supplying components with steady clean power and when they are defective you will get off and on squirley problems like this one.
generally speaking a good capacitor you have a flat top with no yellow looking corrosion leaking from the top.
bad capacitors will have a puffed up top.
if the capacitors are bad replace the board

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
wildstar10 said:
power supply's don't generally cause these types of errors but something els you said does

AMD
i've found alot of cheaper AMD boards have very bad capacitor's
the capacitors are the round cylinder looking things on your mother board with x's or k's etched into the top. capacitors are responsible for supplying components with steady clean power and when they are defective you will get off and on squirley problems like this one.
generally speaking a good capacitor you have a flat top with no yellow looking corrosion leaking from the top.
bad capacitors will have a puffed up top.
if the capacitors are bad replace the board
Well you are saying the capacitors are responsible for supplying clean power - if they are damaged you could get these errors. Well the PSU is supposed to provide clean power too - so i dont see how it couldnt be the source of the problem just as much as the by you mentioned capacitors.

Murph - why dont you try downloading a program like speedfan or MBM5 to check your voltages and temps ?

You are the one mentioning the PSU as the possible troublemaker - as odd as it sounds even with PCs sometimes you just have this "feeling" so why not check and if it turns out to be something else then fine. What kind of PSU is it ? Whats the output and if its a generic one could you read the AMp values for the 3.3, 5 and 12V rail off the side and post it ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
this is off-topic but i thought it was funny when bill gates was giving a demonstration on windows 98 he got a BSOD error....

luckily he had an extra computer standing by

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

Thanks so much for your replys.

i checked teh capacitors and there are a couple that are busted, i guess i hadnt noticed them before, but anyways the board is under warranty so i'll get it replaced.

Thank you :sayyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.